SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$9.95 listing fee now applies.

SitePoint has deployed a new system in the 'Sell Your Site' forum whereby users need to pay a one-off listing fee of $9.95 to post a thread in this forum.

We're hoping that this will help raise money for new hosting for the forums, as we are currently outgrowing our current server and will soon be moving new and much more expensive hosting setup. The SitePoint Marketplace has grown very rapidly in the last 6 months is one of the top three forums (by traffic) on Sitepoint.

Another goal of this move is to eliminate the (very considerable) support overhead that this forum currently generates for our moderators. As this is now a paid service, all customer support will be handled by SitePoint directly, freeing up our moderators for tasks that benefit the community as a whole. We really appreciate the moderators efforts, and do not want them to be burdened by the task of dealing with posts of a commercial nature.

The price has been kept low to ensure that this is a worthwhile product for sellers of both smaller and larger sites alike. We know that the volume of threads in the forum will drop, but believe the quality should also rise noticeably.

Ultimately the SitePoint forums will remain a free service to benefit the community, but we feel that charging a nominal fee for posting threads of a commercial nature - that by design appear in the "Sell Your Site" forum - we can improve the quality of the community and ensure its future viability.

We have built a listing system that gives customers a template through which to post their listing, which will ensure the forums' guidelines are met and that the listings are presented in a consistent fashion. You can access it here:

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/sell-your-site.php

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bah.

This isn't going to apply to the sell your domain forum, is it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if nobody buys the site? Then you're just down $10?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it $9.95 per post? I'm kind of sad to see this listing fee. Not that I mind supporting SPF but I don't see the reasoning to be valid. I'm sure SitePoint makes plenty of money through books, ads, etc. To say you need to charge $10 to pay for hosting is a bit strange.

I guess it goes both way. Its nice to see there will be staff concentrating the sell your site forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd much rather pay $5/month for 500 PMs instead of 150, have the time between searches reduced to 10 seconcds, or removed all together, and have my signature shown to guests...

Just starting to make money... Sparta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is really, really stupid.

My 2 cents. You've eliminated all reason for me to come to these forums. Now there will be maybe 2-3 new posts a day. That's worthless.
    Ad spots available on 750k/m site. PM for info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhois
    I'd much rather pay $5/month for 500 PMs instead of 150, have the time between searches reduced to 10 seconcds, or removed all together, and have my signature shown to guests...
    I completely agree. I would definitely rather pay that fee monthly than this listing fee.

I also agree with Sparta, it will decrease the amount of sites sold here. There are a lot of sites that are sold for only $50 a pop. If you have to pay $10 to sell it, thats 1/5 of the site! I guess only larger sites will be sold here and a lot of turnkey offers will be eliminated but lets face it, all the big spenders are at DNForum.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A commission fee for sites that actually sell would be much more reasonable. I'm surprised the arm and leg you charge for adv. here doesn't cover your expenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely agree with Sparta. On top of that, people who sell turnkeys at $20 each won't make any money. $9 domain, $10 SP fee... and PayPal will eat the remaining $1 for good measure.

For sites over $500, sure, $10 is nothing. Unfortunately, the sell your site forum is more than just massive sites.

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I think this is a WONDERFUL idea... Hey come on folks, you make TONS of money selling your sites here and now you complain about a listing fee? That just isnt right ........ lets see, all the money for you and no one else!

I also think this MIGHT eliminate some of the bad elements that have showed up since the 25 post rules was taken away!

And if its THAT much of a hardship on you build it into your prices ... come on, you can always go over to ebay where your goina to pay fees IN AND OUT!

Now maybe it should be attached to the sale end but I STILL think its a great idea!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton
    Actually I think this is a WONDERFUL idea... Hey come on folks, you make TONS of money selling your sites here and now you complain about a listing fee? That just isnt right ........ lets see, all the money for you and no one else!

I also think this MIGHT eliminate some of the bad elements that have showed up since the 25 post rules was taken away!

And if its THAT much of a hardship on you build it into your prices ... come on, you can always go over to ebay where your goina to pay fees IN AND OUT!

Now maybe it should be attached to the sale end but I STILL think its a great idea!
    I'd pay $10/month if I was an active seller, but $10 each is a bit... well, it won't work for turnkey sites anyway.

I was working on a custom turnkey that I was going to sell, and I don't have a reputation at any forums except SP. I think I just scrapped the idea, now that I have to pay to sell it at the only forum that people would trust me at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about giving people with 500+ or 1000+ posts free listings? This would encourage people to become active therefor most probably increasing the clicks of your ads. I still can't see how your not generating enough money. I'm not too worried for the owner of SitePoint.

Like someonewhois basicly said, this is going to stop smaller sites from being sold.

In the long run, can't this idea backfire? If buyers stop coming here looking to buy sites because of the lack of new posts, SitePoint won't make as much cash because the ads won't be displayed as often or be clicked as often most probably. Then sellers won't want to pay the $10 to list because of the lack of buyers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very sad news, a yearly or monthly fee would have been understandable. at a reasonable rate 9.95 per month maybe. as i said sad news.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxS
    How about giving people with 500+ or 1000+ posts free listings?
    This will encourage people to spam our forums with worthless fluff posts. It was a big problem when we had the 25 post rule. It would be a nightmare at 500 or 1,000.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to have to agree with the above posters. This basically eliminates any turnkey sales here. For sites that go for under $100, 10 bucks is ALOT. I would understand having something like "premium membership," and adding benefits like no search limits/increasing msg box limits/sizes.

I just feel this is a bad idea, I don't see this helping sitepoint, other than the short term gain of a couple of bucks. I mean, there isn't much that really distinguishes sitepoint postings from those on WHT or namepros, and DNF is where all the big sales are. A good portion of the sales here are in the $100 range, thats 10% of the sale!

Thats just my thought about this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy?

As the selling of websites at Sitepoint is a large percentage of the traffic. I am sure the other forums are rubbing their hands with glee.

Dalt
    Last edited by dalt; May 5, 2005 at 19:28. Reason: typo

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much does it cost to have a lifetime membership at DNforum?

Can't you get it for $50 or so... and sell an unlimited number of sites?

I may have to save up for that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not hire/add (Volunteer) mods since its such a strain for the current moderators?

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well even after the comments made I still think this is a great idea. Just since I have been watching this section (2 months) that amount of traffic has been just nuts AND I have noticed the slowdown / outages of the site..

And again I have to say, and some of you know EXACTLY what Im talking about here, there have been some REALLY shady deals and some real problems with bad sites / take the money and run / people selling copies of bootlegged scripts etc etc etc...

Again if the site you are selling is well done add the $9.95 into the selling price. OR add ... "buyer pays listing fee". If the product is worth it NO ONE, myself included is going to mind an extra $10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter, as I'm sure you've noticed, since you read the sell your site forum quite often it seems, the high-profile sites DON'T generate interest at SP. I've always noticed it. Anything under $3500'ish seems popular, but above that and you've got next to no interest. On top of that, the sites that sell for $3500 are once a week. Most of the sties are lower-end, and that seems to be what the SP members seem to go for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree with dc that the quility of sites will certainly improve and we will see more original and a higher standard of sites, ather than a whole page full of dotcombuilders, but i do think a lifetime membership or something would be a better aprouch.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The problem with lifetime meberships is if you have some users sign up and others don't you end up with different "classes" of members with the paid members being seen (or maybe just feeling) elite compared to the non-paying members.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am actively looking to buy sites and I have to believe that this fee will discourage sales of low price sites and sites that the owner is unsure of the value of or concerned that he / she may not sell.
    Siteometrics - SEO Tools

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with stymiee on that point. There was one time at Neowin when I posted a question, and someone gives me some useless response, and I go "I've tried that already, it didn't do anything." sort of thing, and he goes "WELL TRY AGAIN" and I go "Why? It won't change anything." he goes "LISTEN NEWBIE, I'm a PAYING MEMBER HERE, so DON'T TALK BACK.". Needless to say I haven't posted at Neowin since.

That said, you could have paying members (I don't like lifetime, monthly or yearly though) without identifying them at all. And have the one time option as well. That way people who are posting are doing either the one time, or the monthly, but nobody'll know which is which.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sparta, I believe the issue is ultimately the fact that their servers are dying, and they have always said that the market place is a member privilege, not part of the community so-to-say. It isn't a vital part to the community like the PHP forums are, basically.

It must be taxing -- I see myself reporting a dozen posts a day myself (off topic: SP should implement a feature so that it shows the last time a post was reported -- so if I see someone else reported it 10 minutes ago, I won't re-report it to save the staff the notification) -- but none the less, I think the staff can handle it. They're very intelligent people.