User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Appeals court rules for Microsoft

from cnn.com as of 2 minutes ago -

Appeals court rules for Microsoft

A federal appeals court has vacated the lower court decision breaking up computer giant Microsoft, remanding the case to a new judge to replace U.S judge Thomas Penfield Jackson. Trading of Microsoft stock has been halted on Wall Street.

Full story coming soon.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Procrastinator Extraordinaire lucas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the two biggest things that will help you in legal affairs in america are 1. money and 2. power. thats the first thing my law professor told us in his class.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course, being right helps too. Thank goodness. If Microsoft stays in one piece, things will be much better off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally, this nonsense is over. It's just a big waste of time, this whole debate. Microsoft isn't a monopoly, they just happen to make a large variety of (mostly) good products.

Procrastinator Extraordinaire lucas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    Of course, being right helps too. Thank goodness. If Microsoft stays in one piece, things will be much better off.
    yeah well, i could debate all day about how microsoft uses its power to systematically destroy competitors in almost every area that it produces products in.

anyways, if microsoft had been split up, its not like anything would have happened to microsoft. they would still dominate, but it would be easier for other companies to compete; i.e. fair competition practices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good move on behalf of the courts....Jackson always looked like a bit of a nitwit in my eyes!

I dont like Microsoft anymore than the next guy So in some ways its annoying, but i think justice has prevailed (atleast for the time being) and that has to be good...
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by lucas
    yeah well, i could debate all day about how microsoft uses its power to systematically destroy competitors in almost every area that it produces products in.

anyways, if microsoft had been split up, its not like anything would have happened to microsoft. they would still dominate, but it would be easier for other companies to compete; i.e. fair competition practices.
    Oh wow, really? What about Pepsi? They do everything within their power to destory Coke and it's market share. Do we need to break them up? Realize the irony of this: we're trying to punish a business for doing better than it's competitor. Every business does this by nature.

Did you know that MS tried to gain some market share by bundling programs like MS Money with their OS? Guess what, though? Quicken won out anyway. MS is not a monopoly.

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pepsi competes with Coca, that's fair since both are more or less equal. MS's products' competition would be fair too, if MS didn't take advantage of their operating system to bundle the said products and win in the end. Quicken won... because it's the kind of software that's supposed to be secure: and if you hadn't noticed yet, when offered the choice between MS and something else, when the criteria is security of the data, the choice is very often non-MS.

So actually why should MS be divided in two ? So that they stop forcing their software on someone who buys their OS.

Now what scares me is how the supreme court will handle the replacement of the judge. I'm scared they might end up choosing someone who's biased towards MS, or shall I say, to stay politically correct, "a good Republican".
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sheesh...look at all this Microsoft talking.

MS is without a doubt not a monopoly, by definition. But it still is hurting us.

Yes, it is natural for a company to do its best! Of course it will work hard to succeed! No one will argue about that. I don't know why you guys keep bringing that up as a reason to not split up MS, but it is not a good argument at all.

MS worked hard to get where it is today. That's fine and all, but now it is so big and so dominating that we will be a lot better off if they were weakened.

I really wish Microsoft would never have used their OS to leverage their products. If they never had bundled IE, we'd probably be a bunch of Netscape surfers, or at least there would be a lot more Netscape surfers. Netscape would have been so much better than it is today if MS never had bundled IE. I don't think I need to explain that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the only question: can Microsoft really force us to use their stuff? Do we have a choice? If the answer is YES, then breaking them up is not reasonable. We can use Linux and Netscape, or Opera easily. We can use a Mac, too, if we want. MS has not reduced our option to one alone.

Shin Ma: how do you define bias? Someone who realizes that a successful company should not be busted up? If you want to talk about bias, then I'm sure you're unhappy with the original judge, who had never even really used a computer before?

The fact that MS is powerful is not a good argument. Where do you draw the line? Right now, the only reasonable point I can think of is that if the company has given you NO other choice but to use them and them alone, then there might be a problem.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno, guys. This is a toughie. You know, I use Microsoft Windows. I use Microsoft Internet Explorer. I use Microsoft Office. I use Microsoft FrontPage. I don't like what Microsoft seems to be doing with Windows XP so my plan is to not upgrade to XP and upgrade to 2000 instead. I'm still using 98. I don't like the idea of having to call in to MS ever time I format my hard drive. In one thread, the guy said he reformats every other week! I'm not that bad, but I don't want to have to answer to Microsoft when I want to reinstall my OS. I don't like the idea of smart tags. I like the idea that IE looks to be the only browser within a few yrs. Seems Netscape is dropping out of the browser market.

But the way I see it some monopolies are good. I mean, if it wasn't for government trying to FORCE competition, California wouldn't be having its power problems. I don't want to shop for a phone company. Gimme Verizon or give me death. We are all used to Windows for the most part, so why should we complicate things and try to FORCE other solutions onto us. Now no doubt, I am learning linux so I don't have to put up with XP antics when I am forced to upgrade to it in a few years when 98 and 2000 have outlived their useful lives.

I have mixed emotions on this one. Yeah Judge Jackson is an idiot. And yes, I agree with the court's decision today that MS has acted in monopolistic ways. I wouldn't mind MS staying together, buut I think they need to cut the sh1t out about leveraging weight against competitors. I think they ahve gotten more brazen about it in the past 6 months. Personally, I say keep MS together but make Windows open source like Linux. Has anyone in the Linux world seen what happened to the NEtscape browser when Netscape opened up it's Linux browser to open source (Mozilla). IT has created a great product. If Windows was open source, we'd all be happy using it, other companies could improve on it, and yes AOL (which I hate) can make it's own AOWindows. I dunno. I think, that would be the best solution.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor