SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this legal for adsense

I have 30 some domains that I fully intend to develop but of course it takes time. What I was thinking of doing was doing one page, explaining the site is being built, what the site is going to be about yadda, yadda ...but a good full page of content and then put adsense on it.

What Im hoping to do is build PR (hopefully) and possibly make a few bucks on adsense while Im getting these thing built..

So my question, is this legal? I looked thru the policies page over at Google and couldnt find anything about it but I figured Id ask here..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think many will tell you not to do this. I think otherwise. You run the risk of turning off the few who do visit your site in the "construction" phase but if there is some content and some relevant ads to click on, you are providing a little assistance and could make a little (very little probably) cash. However, these folks won't number too many, so it is not really that bad.

The upside is that you will be getting things going earlier and could be in a better position when things are more complete. I did something simliar and instead of making only a few cents in my first few weeks of being live, I made quite a few dollars and the non-Google search engines are indexing me more and more (Google is as well but at a more conservative pace). This approach does work better with massive, dynamic sites (I'll let you think about that one after you read the next paragraph).

Good luck and happy fishing. I see this approach as just leaving a fishing pole in the water while you hone your fishing skills and while you acquire more fishing equipment (nets, more poles, better bait).

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenBauer
    The upside is that you will be getting things going earlier and could be in a better position when things are more complete.
    Thats about the same thought process I was going thru. Im banging out a site about every 1 - 2 weeks so it probably wont be too horribly long till they are up and getting things going is always a pain so I figured why not get a head start?

Thanks, glad Im not the only one who is thinking this way. I dont want to piss off Google but they also seem to be the slowest SE out there right now so any help is good help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No content, no adds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should add: Google could see a site as "made for AdSense" which is against the TOS but then again, if you have at least some valid content (like you said) on your one page, then I don't think you are breaking TOS considering some people only have a one page site with AdSense on it.

I think the "head start" idea is also a good idea. I think I shaved a month or two off my initial plan (and part of this happened just by accident...Yahoo and MSN starting to index while I was finishing up the dynamic pages).

Technically I still have about 5% to finish on this site but checking AdSense stats is getting in the way of my concentration!

Good luck DC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REMIYA
    No content, no adds
    Yeah, true, but he did say he would have a one-page "under construction" page with some content in it and some description of what the site will entail (if I understood the initial post correctly). If this is done correctly (with a bit of value...content), then the ads should have some focus.

I would prefer the initial page to be a decent page with "under construction" tacked onto the bottom. I hope that is what they meant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, but if there is no content on some of the pages, he may be banned
    Wherever there is content, it's absolutely applying of the policy.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The truth is this: It's fine.

However, since you're sites are all in their infancy--you probably will be making very little with Adsense. Just hang in a wait until you're ready to have sites that really look solid. It's pretty foolish to rush right in just for the sake of making a few quick bucks. Slow down!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horowitz
    The truth is this: It's fine.

However, since you're sites are all in their infancy--you probably will be making very little with Adsense. Just hang in a wait until you're ready to have sites that really look solid. It's pretty foolish to rush right in just for the sake of making a few quick bucks. Slow down!
    I think it was for getting things out there in term of SEs and a side-benefit of some (small amounts of) cash. This technique works great for very large dynamic sites (with URLs re-written of course). You will start to get scraper links sooner (you will get them no matter what but they count none-the-less) and you get people who do find some value in the info you do have. Some will even come back to see what is happening later (although I never do). Also, you get pages out there and establish history. Also, most SEs throttle their spidering of you...starting out slow and building up (again, especially great for large dynamic, URL re-written sites with a URL structure that will not change).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It also lets you find out a little about clickthrough rate and what G is paying for clicks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mhdoc
    It also lets you find out a little about clickthrough rate and what G is paying for clicks.
    Good point. I know I am using my initial results to focus on niches for my next few sites based on the current code I am using. However, I have another site (that is entirely different) that I want to get going first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Write a short, general article about the subjects that your site will deal with, and you should be fine.
    -- Jeremy Maddock
    SEOMix.com - Search Engine Optimization Tips
    My Blog - Business, tech, and politics from a webmaster's perspective

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WealthStream
    Write a short, general article about the subjects that your site will deal with, and you should be fine.
    Also, fill the article with keywords and it will be good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenBauer
    Technically I still have about 5% to finish on this site but checking AdSense stats is getting in the way of my concentration!

Good luck DC.
    Amen! I was dropped from the program for about a week and got WAY more done in terms of actual work than in the entire month beforehand !

Now that I'm back in adSense, my work pace has salcked off considerably.

Less programing and more promoting....at least until the boss lady (wife) finds out.