Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone doing any serious JavaScript?

Like these sites:

http://map.search.ch/
    http://maps.google.com/

If I could figure out the JavaScript behind such mapping projects, I'd be one happy guy.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The JS behind Google Maps shouldn't be too difficult. I haven't actually looked, but the functionality seems pretty easy to reproduce. Basically you just keep track fo what the very center point of the page is. When you first load the page, you know where that is (across the entire map). Then, when the most moves, you move the center dot the same distance as the mouse moves, and then you fill in the missing image sectors based on the center dot. Likewise, when you double click an area, all it does is set the center to that dot and reload the missing images.

To zoom in and out, all you have to do is keep track of the zoom factor and have request the images at the right zoom level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm actually doing more complex things in my mapping application than Google Maps, but the continuous movement of the imagery looks difficult to me.

I'd love to know how that first site does the real zoom in/out. That looks awesome.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first one looks like it could be done using CSS. Stretch the image to be huge, cut off the sides, and then once it's done the fancy effect, it loads the real images. That's probably why it goes so blurry before it can load the real thing.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. I made an alert() display "hello" and "world" on separate lines. The implications for world peace are staggering. I also heard about some guy who compiled a monkey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was blogged about quite a bit when first released. The continuous movement comes from chopping the entire world map into small pieces, a set for each zoom level. A couple degrees of movement in each direction are loaded based on the current coordinates, but clipped out of the visible map area, and simply repositioned when the user moves in one direction or the other. When this happens, I believe they use XMLHTTP to load up the images to be ready for the next degrees of movement.

I bet you can find coverage on the technique if you Google it.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)