SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

optimize PC for cable modem & security

I have recently had cable access installed at home and want to optimize my PC for the faster access. On Win 98, is there any cache settings etc. that will help with the added speed? It clocks it around 650k but I think my machine is slowing it down. I have a lot of RAM on a medium to slow processor.

Also, I added Hack Tracer for some security. Anyone have any experience with it? How do I know what IP's to grant permission to. I am flooded with unsolicited connections.

Thanks!!!

Open to any and all suggestions.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi bucich,

First of all, are you downloading at 650 Kb per second or 650 KB per second? It makes a huge difference. If it is the latter, you probably don't need to do anything

There are a ton of programs that claim to optimize your Internet connection, but most don't do the trick well. There are a few that edit your registry and do a nice job at it, but I prefer manual registry editing.

http://www.speedguide.net has some great registry modifications and tutorials for broadband.

I haven't used Hack Tracer. I use ZoneAlarm as a firewall. It is a nice piece of software...powerful and reliable enough. I, too, get a lot of warnings, but this is true for most connections.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Holy s$&@! I got speed!
    Just tested throughput...
    Loaded 225,455 bytes in 0.94 seconds = 1919KB!

Thanks for your suggestions! I knew my machine was holding me back since the installation technician noted that he had never seen a connection faster than mine going into my box.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to help as always

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry 1919kb

<EOM>