SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, what is wrong with all of this?!

So finally, last night, everything was working fine for a few moment. PHP, MySQL, and Apache -- all working together in harmony, and I finally completed the first chapter of Build Your Own Database Driven Webstei Using PHP & MySQL after a month of trying to get those 3 programs installed. But today. Today when I go back to move on to chapter 2, things no longer work. MySQL (4.1.11) still works, and so does PHP (5.0.4), but Apache (2.0.53) is dead. I'm using the XAMPP package from apachefriends.org

Here's the message I'm getting now when I try to run Apache2:

(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port)
    is normally permitted. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
    no listening sockets available, shutting down
    Unable to open logs

Also, when I open the XAMPP control panel... it says Apache is stopped, MySQL is running, and FireZillaFTP and Mercury are stopped (i don't think i need them running, right?) When i try to click 'Start' for Apache, it just immediately stops and goes back to not running. So i don't know what's wrong now.

I tried reinstalling the whole thing. Same problem. I'm on Windows XP Home edition. Please somebody know what to do.

SitePoint Evangelist TRISPECTIVE's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have any line like
    Listen <SomeIP>:80
    in your config file? Any firewall runs on your box?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what the problem is, but maybe you'd have better luck if you downloaded and installed php,mysql and apache seperately, rather than thru that xxamp package. I followed the instructions in the BYODDWS book, and installed each item seperately, and it's been working for me for months.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator
    I'm not sure what the problem is, but maybe you'd have better luck if you downloaded and installed php,mysql and apache seperately, rather than thru that xxamp package. I followed the instructions in the BYODDWS book, and installed each item seperately, and it's been working for me for months.
    i've already tried doing that many times. it just won't work. other errors pop up and i could not get it to work no matter how hard i tried. i've been trying to do different things for a month now. someone recently suggested xampp and it almost seemed to work...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The error message would tend to indecate that there is already something running that is using port 80. You can test this by using telnet to connect to the system using port 80. At the command prompt you should be able to enter:
    Code:
    telnet localhost 80
    Telnet will generate an error if there is nothing using that port.