SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this Possible

Hi
    I wanna know is this possible to Record sound usng ASP, which is coming through telephone modem..

Any help .. Hints highly appreciable...

I am modifying some thing..
    Now it is possible to use the system resources on which asp page running suppose i am usin glan for running this asp.
    If yes then plz help

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by md_irfan_amu; Jun 2, 2005 at 13:27.
    Irfan
    Find Tutors Easyway to get connect with your tutor in india

Original Gangster silver trophy Thing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting question. I have never heard of a way to do this via ASP. You could however upload pre-recorded sounds to your site using ASP.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd need some kind of activeX object to do that, the location of which depends on whether you want to record sound coming from the IIS server or the web client machine.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy asp_funda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I'm surprised that you want to do this with ASP, its not the ideal approach!! Then you also didn't mention that whether the sound source is connected to the server running the ASP application or the client. I can give you some ideas & theories but no more as I've never tried this myself!

First thing that you should know is that its not possible using ASP alone, I don't think that ASP can even handle receiving sound bytes & saving them properly in the correct format!

Anyways, here are two theories of mine.

Case 1: Sound source is attached to the server
    You'd need an active-x running on the server that can interact with the sound source & receive input from it. Then you can use ASP to get the bytes & then keep on doing incremental save on the sound file on the server.

Case 2: Sound source is attached to the client
    You have 3 choices here to send sound input to the server,
    1) Use a Flash Application
    2) Use a Java Applet
    3) Use an active-x control (this will limit your client to just IE)

Java applet will be a bit of tough call if you don't know Java I/O, sound capture etc. Flash will be a bit easy, as it can interact with the webcam & microphones etc. attached to the client machines on which its running. There are several applications made in Flash that have video-conferencing etc, a good example being Macromedia Breeze(its backend is in ColdFusion however, which doesn't matter much, except its concept). So essentially what you'll do is have a Flash movie that gets input from the microphone(no phone modems etc, that's out of scope) & then send it back to the ASP application running on the server. In Breeze's video conferencing module, the server then pushes that input to other clients, however here you have to save it, just like you do in Case 1 above.

All this looks good in theory but would be a bit difficult to implement, but not impossible. However I'd say that don't use ASP here if you can use other solutions. ASP is for running browser-based applications. You can do this better in VB6, VB.NET, C#.NET, Java, etc. which are proper languages & which give you more freedom than ASP.
    Our lives teach us who we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me - Photo Blog - Personal Blog - Dev Blog
    iG:Syntax Hiliter -- Colourize your code in WordPress!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your support , Actually I will use VB at client side and ASP pages on for web , but I want to activate this VB application when I click a button on the ASP Page, and i closes the vb application and send it to the server when I click the Stop button, I think now I am more clear , still I am unable to do that as it says permission denied when i use ShellExecute function through asp rather javscript, any help plz,

Thanks
    Irfan
    Find Tutors Easyway to get connect with your tutor in india

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy asp_funda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

You won't be able to do this in a shared-hosting environment, you need either VPS or a Dedicated Server as it'll require your DLLs registered with the IIS & you can't do that in shared hosting!!
    If your host allows custom DLLs in shared hosting, I'd get away from that host as soon as possible, as some one else might get a DLL registered that might bring the whole server down & thus affecting my website!!
    Our lives teach us who we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me - Photo Blog - Personal Blog - Dev Blog
    iG:Syntax Hiliter -- Colourize your code in WordPress!!