SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably not the average question...

Hey. Weird one this.

I like to listen to music while working on my computer, as well as browsing the net, and my MP3 collection is growing.

The thing is is that I am using WinAmp to listen to the music but everytime I do something that involves accessing the HDD it makes the music skip/slow down/basically go wrong. Things like loading a new page on the net, refreshing, or opening a new application. I'm guessing it is somehow slowing the HDD down in some way. But

I have a 43gb HD (well a 13gb plus an extra 30gb separate drive) with 5 seperate partitions for across various things. I am pretty sure WinAmp is installed on a different parition to say IE.

Does anyone know something I could do to stop this. (I also have 256mb RAM on a P3 450 so I'm guessing thats not it).

Ta.
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Sonique (which I like better than WinAmp), and I have the same problems. Although, it's happened to me on WinAmp, Windows Media, et cetera as well. Just, every once in a while, especially when Windows has to access the hd, the music will temporarily slow down or stop or skip. It's very aggravating. However, I think it's just Windows and the way it utilizes system resources.
    Once again I'm going to to find myself praising Linux. On Linux (Mandrake is the distrobution I use), none of these insignifigant problems arise. You have enough space to partition your drive, you should try out Mandrake 8.0.
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The same thing happens to me - but only when I'm downloading songs. When I'm playing mp3s I've already downloaded, they play fine, even on my old computer, which was similar to yours, a PII 400 Mgz with 192 MB RAM.

Here's a question. Have you ran Disk Defragmenter or ScanDisk recently?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try storing the mp3 files on a seperate HD that the windows paging file and the windows temp path. IE writes to cache files all the time so that might be causing the problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks... nice to hear other people having the same problems.

UM -
    Try storing the mp3 files on a seperate HD that the windows paging file and the windows temp path. IE writes to cache files all the time so that might be causing the problem
    Whilst this is good advice, my windows directory is on C:, the MP3's are stored on D: and the program file for winamp is on E:

Plus, it isn't just IE that does it - it is literally everything. The MP3 being played is on a whole separate partition to any programs (although technically still on the same disk.

I'll try aligning my programs (and yeah could defrag - probably need it!).. any other ideas. I tried to the priority function thing that is with WinAmp - still makes no difference...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which version of Windows are you using?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are C: D: & E: on seperate physical Hard Disks or are they partitions on the same HD?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Win 98...

UM I can't actually remember.

I think C and E are the same disks but D is definitely separate as it is about 20gb. Having said that the E drive (where WinAmp is) might well be on D, which I suppose could be causing the problem...

Procrastinator Extraordinaire lucas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by weirdbeardmt
    Win 98...
    i'm sorry i had this problem all the time when i was running windows 98. i think it has to do with the huge amount of memory leaks that 98 develops after it has been running for a while.

i switched to windows 2000 professional and have never had the problem since. and this is on my 300mhz celeron with 192 megs of ram.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have you tried playing the mp3s from a drive connected to a seperate IDE channel (if IE and windows are on partitions of drive X on your primary IDE channel then play your mp3s from drive Y connected to the secondary IDE) this solved the prob for me in win95

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes sense.

Like I said, I think my drive C: which has IE and most major programs are a separate drive and IDE channel to the MP3 drive D.

And I am now pretty much positive that the partition that contains the WinAmp .exe is on a the same drive/ide channel as C: - which should mean that D:MP3 is totally separate from all of it.

Having said that I can't totally remember how I installed the second hard drive. Is it possible to install new HDD's as a slave on the primary IDE channel? I suppose it is possible I did that...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by weirdbeardmt
    Is it possible to install new HDD's as a slave on the primary IDE channel? I suppose it is possible I did that...
    It is possible.