User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by dominique
    I beleive you that it works, I'm just not sure how it works. I still think it's because RR just hasn't caught you yet. I once did a set up at a friends house in a distant city far far away with a different provider (not RR) that also only allows one IP and we set it up just like you did. We had 3 PCs just like you and it also worked like a charm. Vidéotron never suspected a thing. The problem came when we added a fourth PC. Vidétron still didn't suspect a thing but the cable modem started acting weird and only 3 of the 4 PCs could be online at once (or even less sometimes).

Maybe the only reason why it works is because RR doesn't bother to check and most cable modems (including yours) allow up to 3 PCs on at once. *just my theory, I may be way off*
    Sorry for getting so off-topic, but RR actually set up two computers using the access. They put the NIC cards in and set up our accounts on them. They told me I could run up to five. At work, we have five iMacs on a hub using RoadRunner and they work like a charm.

Lets get back on topic now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like intel.

I am using the Intel Anypoint (http://www.intel.com/anypoint/) system, and am actually pretty satified with it, it claims speeds of 10mbs but I would estimate that it gets about 5 on average. I have the PCI phoneline models, and it was a snap to install. The only downside is that the cable modem is on only 1 computer, so you have to keep it on to work, and same with printers, other peripherals, but I don't have to run any special wires, just plug each computer into a wall jack, I have 2 computers on W2K on the network. The box says that it doesn't support W2K but they do offer drivers on their website, and directions. It was very easy to install (1 hour tops) and works well, all the computers get the full cable speed. You can just move the modem to the computer that has the W2K and leave it running most of the time, like you said its your primary work machine anyways, so it will be on. Intel is now working on a bridge, that will allow their wireless network seam with their phoneline models, so you could get a PCMCIA card for your lap top, and have it run on a mini wireless network, and anyother computers that aren't near phone jacks. If you have some extra USB ports, you can get everything external as well, but I think the PCI cards would be faster than external USB. E-mail me if you have some questions. andrew@juniorsailing.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked the site, and intel has now released support for W2K! so now it works with all of the Windows systems that you listed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful which Intel system you use. Stick with 802.11b and don't go with the Intel proprietary system.

As for "fooling" RoadRunner, I am not going to get caught as I would if I simply connected three computers to a hub and let them all be DHCP clients to RoadRunner. The wireless access point from Lucent is a NAT Router. RoadRunner cannot see past it to any other computer on my network. It's a hardware firewall, gateway and router.

Sold as the Apple Airport Basestation, if you have a Mac on your network to run the management software, it's the cheapest 802.11b solution you can buy.

Lucent sells the same hardware with different management software and you don't need a Mac to manage it.

-t

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad news, kind of.

Getting a cable modem will cost me almost $60/month. How so? With modem rental plus the $39.95 monthly fee, that's $45.95 - BUT the real problem is I have to actually buy a phone line still for uploading. I live in a semi-rural area and the cable lines installed will allow for cable-speed downloads, but you still need to use your phone line for uploads, Comcast says. This will run the price to almost $60.

I simply can't afford that. That's absurd!

(Providor: Comast@Home)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you should look into a satellite solution.

e=2.718281828459045235360 HyperBaseball's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using the Intel AnyPoint network for quite awhile-- we use the wired version, rather than the wireless. It's not all that bad-- sometimes kind of tedious but most of the time pretty reliable.

I also have @home via Comcast, and I'm not sure why they're telling you that you need a phone line to upload... I upload via my cable connection all the time.
    Jason Unger is me.
    "Homer no function beer well without"
    http://www.jasonunger.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mjames
    I simply can't afford that. That's absurd!
    That is absurd! I didn't know those old systems still existed! I guess DSL is out of the question as well since you live in a 'semi-rural' area.

$60 for half the cable experience is ludicrous!