SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow CPM, CPC, or Monthly?

Which do you prefer to sell on your site: CPM, CPC, or monthly? I am talking about direct sales and not ad networks. I currently offer either CPC or monthly to my advertisers and was wondering how others went about this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cpm or monthly 1.5-3 per cpm for medium sites and 150-1000 monthly depending on your traffic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general, the easiest way seems to be to charge a weekly or monthly fee, loosly based on how much traffic your site gets. For example, if you get approximately 10,000 pageviews/month (and have the stats to prove it), you might charge your advertisers a fixed fee of $10/month ($1CPM). If your traffic counts go up or down, you should adjust the price accordingly.
    -- Jeremy Maddock
    SEOMix.com - Search Engine Optimization Tips
    My Blog - Business, tech, and politics from a webmaster's perspective

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I don't even display my stats and haven't had any advertiser ask for me to show them to me and I charge anywhere from $20 - $60 (depending on the spot) per month if they choose monthly and I am actually overselling ads right now which leads me to believe my prices are way to low. I serve about 200,000 pages a day and it is a gaming site.

fad (n): a craze; interest... Fahd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sell primarily by CPM, more flexible to work with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use google evena i have 200k/day uniq i still use google becaause they pay best if u ask me... tried all other networks but they were not evena close to google.... i know that i will have more then 1$ cpm on google and dont want to bother with other offers as they are always lame

SitePoint Evangelist downloads_be's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly prefer CPM, if my site starts to perform better I can benefit from it. Monthly is also an option for smaller sites though

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually CPM (though monthly/weekly solves the same problem for me as well). It's the best method from a publisher's point of view- solid, consistant income. CPC and CPA makes the publisher assume the risks, not the advertiser.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am redoing my site right now and plan on getting rid of my ad networks that I also run along with the direct sales. I figure I can charge quite a bit more for direct sales.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldFire
    Well I don't even display my stats and haven't had any advertiser ask for me to show them to me and I charge anywhere from $20 - $60 (depending on the spot) per month if they choose monthly and I am actually overselling ads right now which leads me to believe my prices are way to low. I serve about 200,000 pages a day and it is a gaming site.
    Woah, $20-$60/month for 200k pages a day? How many uniques? I'll assume 20 pages per visitor (which is probably quite a bit higher, but it's being generous)... that means 10,000 uniques a day. At $1 CPM, you're lookingn at $10/day. If you're charging $20/month, you're ripping yourself off (no offense).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $20 a month is for the small box ad, all the others are $40 - $60. Also, I know my ad prices are very cheap, but it is just because I was trying to compete with another competing site which has worked quite well. Also, when I set those prices my traffic was quite a bit smaller, and I haven't wanted to raise them because I sort of worried about losing advertisers, but I figure I definitly should raise the prices a pretty good amount when I release the new version of the site. So CPM or monthly is the way to go? Also, should I display my prices right on the site or have advertisers e-mail me and ask for prices and then I could send them a PDF with all the info they need?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps do a bidding thing. If you were to have 3 ad spots open, one at $20, one at $40, and one at $60, then you could start the bidding at that. You said that you have an oversupply of advertisers, so doing a bidding system is the best way to make up your cost. That way, it looks competitive to start off, but chances are that a bidding war will take it into a few hundred bucks, which is what you should be expecting.

And about publishing the prices... who knows. If you're doing a bidding system, you have to obviously. Otherwise, I personally do, but it's all personal choice. Also, why would you send them a PSD file? Most people don't have Photoshop, and PSD's are large and clunky... best to send it in text-form in the e-mail, or if you need images/fanciness, link the person to a special page that's not publically linked, so that they can see it in HTML form.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha sorry, didn't mean PSD. I meant a PDF...oops! Also, that bidding idea isn't so bad, thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what payment o you guys use to charge your clients ?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For ad networks like AdSense I use PPC or CPA. For ads I sell directly, I charge by the month with discounts quarterly and semi-annual payments. I will accept checks and PayPal. I like the speed of PayPal, but I really like checks because it means I don't loose money to a third party.

I've never really learned how to most effectively price ads I sell as such, I suspect, I'm underpricing my ad slots/links in comparison to other sites that have simular traffic volume, page counts, PR, etc.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use PayPal and checks, though about 95% of the advertisers pay with PayPal.