SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

getting listed with Yahoo

I'm listed under google for quite a few keywords, but in yahoo I don't seem to be listed at all... I've submitted to yahoo directory many times, whats the next best way to get listed highly with them? (besides paying $300)
    ScorecardMarketing.ca

Sales under par? Try Scorecard Marketing!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need to do any additional work to become listed in Yahoo. Just wait a bit. Usually Yahoo's spider is not so prompt like Google's one.

General advice -- try to get as many incoming links as possible.
    New PPC Search Engine -- We show only relevant results!

SitePoint Zealot theHostingFinder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are referring to getting int the Yahoo _Directory_ .... well I guess you know itīs only free for non-commercial sites? I've tried but instantly got ushered to the $299 signup-page. I'm considered commercial although I am not selling anything on my site ... *sigh*

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question commercial sites in yahoo or google

I have been trying to get a commercial site into either of these two with no success, I seem to be under the impression that you must pay to get a commercial site.

What I don't understand is that a small web design company can design websites and get them listed in yahoo, all for about Ģ200, when yahoo charges $299.

I can only presume these guys don't pay the $299, so how do they get customers into yahoo when they charge Ģ200 for a package ?

Any ideas ?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The free submission option offered by Yahoo has several limitations. First of all, it is not available in the "commercial directory". The "commercial directory" consists mostly of the "Business and Economy" category and its subcategories, which are where most commercial sites should be placed.

The second limitation is that the free submission is reserved for non-commercial sites. Hence, even if you have a commercial site that belongs outside the "Business and Economy" category, the only way you'll be able to get in is through Yahoo Express.

The worst thing about Yahoo's free submission is that it is a very slow and unreliable way to get into the directory. Usually it takes several attempts and several months before you'll be able to get your site listed, so if you're in a hurry, the free submission is not for you.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In past years, I've has a couple of sites that eventually got into Google and Yahoo via direct submission with them. These were personal pages and nobody linked to them (as far as I'm aware). It took between 6 weeks and 2 months.

I started a Geocities webpage recently and within 3 days it was indexed in Yahoo. Geocities, as you may know, is owned by Yahoo. Maybe Yahoo gives preferential treatment to Geocities pages? Or maybe there is a site map or something of Geocities pages for Yahoo to crawl? I don't know. I do know that I got in a lot faster than I thought I would. A lot faster.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get someone to link to you that knows there site is crawled by yahoo regularly that will help you out... I know it worked for me Now i am number 2 on yahoo for one of my key terms
    CPA Affiliates Get Tips and Info on Best Paying CPA Networks.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure your robots.txt file is in the right syntax. Maybe that will help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have submitted my site at Yahoo! Directory every 6 months for the past year and half. Until now, they still haven't added it in their directory even if the category to which it should be included only have less than 10 links in it.
    The Star Circle Quest Community - Community website for SCQ fans.
    Telebisyon.net - Reference guide to TV series shown in the Philippines.
    Lyrics Server Online! - All the lyrics you can get on one website.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It just takes time. I submitted countless times, then one day, they just accepted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Moreliator
    It just takes time. I submitted countless times, then one day, they just accepted.
    What's your interval between re-submissions? If I keep re-submitting my site to the same category everyday, they might ban my site.

By the way, welcome to SitePoint Forums!
    Last edited by QReyes; Jun 28, 2005 at 18:18. Reason: Added a welcome message.
    The Star Circle Quest Community - Community website for SCQ fans.
    Telebisyon.net - Reference guide to TV series shown in the Philippines.
    Lyrics Server Online! - All the lyrics you can get on one website.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by QReyes
    What's your interval between re-submissions? If I keep re-submitting my site to the same category everyday, they might ban my site.

By the way, welcome to SitePoint Forums!
    Thank you!

I waited at least 3-4 months between each submission, sometimes more. I think on my 3rd or 4th try I got the email, which is now framed on my wall