SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to know when rejected by dmoz and yahoo?

How do you know when your site gets rejected by dmoz and yahoo?

I have submitted a couple of sites to dmoz lately and I get some problem message saying "your site is in a holding area. Once we've verified that it is not spam, we'll add it to the unreviewed sites in the category you have requested" ... so I don't even know if it has even reached the review pool.

Is there any way of knowing the status of a submitted site to these two directories?

Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For dmoz, wait a month or so, and then ask in the Submission status forum at Resource Zone.

The "holding area" message means what it says - the submission has been caught in a spam filter, so someone will have to look at it before forwarding it to the queue in the correct category. We do know that some legitimate submissions trigger the filter, so you don't need to worry about that part.

No idea about the yahoo part of the question.
    ODP editor hildea

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo
    How do you know when your site gets rejected by dmoz and yahoo?

I have submitted a couple of sites to dmoz lately and I get some problem message saying "your site is in a holding area. Once we've verified that it is not spam, we'll add it to the unreviewed sites in the category you have requested" ... so I don't even know if it has even reached the review pool.

Is there any way of knowing the status of a submitted site to these two directories?

Thanks
    Hey Apollo. If you would like to see your current status at DMOZ, please send me an email to ... with the exact URL's that you've submitted. I can always check the status of your sites, and might even give you tips on how to get listed.

If other people that submitted their site to DMOZ didn't get in and did not get a reason why, you can also email me. I'll try and help you out.

(because this thread has been bumped up, and I already figured out that I should not go on doing this stuff on my own, I have removed my email address. So please don't try to contact me about your DMOZ listing)
    Last edited by Nokiaringtone.org; Jan 5, 2005 at 14:38.
    Dillen Media Solutions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Nokia

It is a bit early now ... I will give it another couple of weeks then contact you if I have not heard anything.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nokiaringtone (and other editors): Before giving feedback on individual submissions, please re-read ODP's guidelines on privacy. Giving general information about submissions, like "listed in category Whatever/Wherever", "moved to category Whatever/Wherever and not reviewed there yet", or "deleted in Whatever/Wherever" is fine. It's not OK to reveal which editors have touched a submission - editors have suffered harassment from disgruntled submitters before, and likely will again . (I'm not saying that I suspect Apollo of harassing anyone, of course - this is a general comment.)

Giving information about specific reasons for deletion is borderline. Stuff like "deleted because the site didn't work when the editor reviewed it" is OK, but information and advice which mainly serves to help the webmaster circumvent our guidelines (such as hiding aspects which disqualifies for a listing) is not OK.

Also, please note that unless you can see the unreviewed queue in the category submitted to, you may miss part of the picture. For instance, the site may have been submitted twice, and one of the submissions deleted, while the other is left for review. Someone reading just the editor notes may think the site has been deleted completely.

Helping submitters is a Good Thing - thanks Just keep in mind that sometimes there's a risk of helping the submitter at the cost of harming the directory, and that sometimes well-intentioned advice without seeing the full picture may cause more confusion than enlightenment.
    ODP editor hildea

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nokiaringtone.org, I strongly recommend that you point people to resource-zone.com rather than handling a bunch of requests yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    goguides.org has a neat tool to track submissions in their database:

http://www.goguides.org/index.php?substat=true&CatID=

In my case I can see my site seems to be waiting in a different category from the one I think I submitted it to so it will be rejected anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    resourceszone for DMOZ, check it out

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Way to dig up an old thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by HostsearchUK
    resourceszone for DMOZ, check it out
    Already mentioned above several times.
    The Star Circle Quest Community - Community website for SCQ fans.
    Telebisyon.net - Reference guide to TV series shown in the Philippines.
    Lyrics Server Online! - All the lyrics you can get on one website.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Way to dig up a dug up thread

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Resourceszone for DMOZ doens't give feedback about submissions anymore.