SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ad Request: Links in Footer

I received what appeared to be a mass mailing by an advertiser the other day. Surprisingly, when I replied he responded. He's looking to advertise on my site with little links in the footer of the pages. I thought this sounded suspicious before, but now I'm not so sure. I don't quite get the logic behind that type of advertising. Anyway, he pointed me to the location of the ads: http://ads.bnhosting.co.uk/ads.php (they reload when you refresh the page) and a couple sites that use the advertising: http://www.linuxforums.org and http://www.tacticalgamer.com

Have any of you heard of this before? How much would one charge for this? Apparently I am supposed to be getting back to him with a price. Don't get me wrong... I likely won't do it. But it's certainly an interesting non-intrusive concept.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you should go in high. If he spends the effort for mass mailing I'm sure he is out there to purchase ads. I would suggest to go in at $15/month, assuring him with your traffic and his CPM cost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol. Well don't you think cost depends on my traffic?

fad (n): a craze; interest... Fahd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people (wrongly IMO) value these ads primarily based on the pagerank of the page and I've seen some people sell PR7+ links for some good money. I've never done this, so I'm not the best person to listen to. I'm sure someone with more hands-on experience with this will come along shortly enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think this has more to do with Google ranking than actual click-thru advertising?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I don't. Just because you don't have a lot of traffic doesn't mean that the ads won't be successful. You can have a better click-thru rate than a high traffic site you should charge more. Unless the advertiser is after branding impressions don't matter, but the actual sales or visits from that link.

You should always go in high. If they don't like the price then lower it. If you went in low they'll take the offer and you don't have the opportunity to raise the price.

Massimiliano Bruno Giordano sid egg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He wants you to put Co-Op ads on your page (I think we've come to this conclusion). The Co-Op is a Free Advertising Network that will let you get 1,000's of links across 1,000s of websites...

Edit, by the way, after looking at ads.php they are DEFINATELY Co-Op ad-network ads, and you will do better to just put the co-op on your page (again, see sig for "Free Advertising Network").
    Last edited by Dan Morgan; Jun 1, 2005 at 13:23.
    GamesLib.com - the slickest, most complete and
    easily navigatible flash games site on the web.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    charmedlover, I didn't mean I don't have a lot of traffic. Of course, it's all relative. But my site's no speck. I'm just saying there's got to be some correlation between traffic and cost. "15" is pretty random.

sid_egg, I really have no idea what you mean. The advertiser flat-out said he wants to pay. What does co-op have to do with this?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question. I don't think that they are co-op links. Plus did you ever think that random/rotating links really won't add much of a benefit, atleast backlink wise.

As I didn't know your traffic $15 just seemd like a good value, based on nothing though. If you have more traffic then charge more, having some stats would help here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Growth has been exponential since the beginning of the year. Last month was especially good because the site was Slashdotted. About 600,000 real page views.

My question still remains: Is this even something I should do? For a few bucks a month, I don't think it's worth the hassle of myself or my visitors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many links will be displayed at all times? This guy is most likely buying PR exposure (that's what it seems like to me), so set the price at around $15 - $30 per link, that way it can generate a nice extra $xxx for you per month, if he's interested. If not, it wouldn't be worth it either way, in my opinion anyways.

SitePoint Guru scotlandforvisit's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from your general comments I think you ARE interested (otherwise why would we still be discussing it) and you will do it. If it isn't too much hassle to recode your pages and as you say it is pretty unobtrusive then charge him what you believe he will pay. Any figures that we pluck out the air (and that is all we can do) is simply that. However, if you want me/anybody to pluck a figure out of the air I was paid $120 dollars for a three month period via a textlinks broker auction site. My PV's though are about 1/5 of what yours are. So, $200 a month
    The newest sites in the online empire!Scotlands Culture
    Baby Names

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Slashdotted means?

Quote Originally Posted by geiger
    Growth has been exponential since the beginning of the year. Last month was especially good because the site was Slashdotted.
    At the risk of pulling the thread off topic...what does Slashdotted mean?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    slashdotted means that you get a link from http://www.slashdot.org - usually a front page link from there will bring down the linked server due to the volume of traffic sent.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=slashdotted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, I'm interested in looking at the options. Not denying that. I suppose I'll go contact him.