SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ASP server urgent

hello, im at school and im trying to test just little applications on my laptop.. i need to find something that will run the asp pages localy, anything from microsoft would be nice because my teacher has to install it :-) thanks

Afrika
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the only thing that runs asp apart from microsoft IIS is chillisoft.com software

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the operating system of the machine you intend to use? You'll have several options for installing 'free' versions of IIS.

Or, as afrika says, run Chilisoft ASP with Apache, but Chilisoft is no more. It's now Sun One ASP - they were bought out a while back. They do a dev version though. I run it at home and had no problem extracting a (legitimate, I might add) developers key for it from Sun.

Sun One ASP does miss some components of the original MS ASP platform though, so if I were you I'd work on getting IIS set up.

G

Afrika
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the update greg, i actually never followed the change on chillisoft, i heard the results were not the same as running ASP on a MS machine.

I would advice you run IIS on your laptop, its free to install. Unless your laptop is running linux :-)

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No probs. Yer, Sun will probably sort out the 'classic' ASP features in the next release, since MS aren't developing it any more so they'll have time to catch up.

But for the time being, here's a list of the differences:
    http://balu.sch.bme.hu/asp_dif.html

I use it at home because most of the cheap ASP hosting deals are Linux-based with MySQL and Sun One (Sun Cobalt servers usually), so I'm replicating my usual hosting environment at home. No point in developing on IIS and finding it won't work on Sun One and you have to spend another day ironing out the code differences required.

G