User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Topping the competition

Hi all,

I was just wondering, say your biggest competitor had a PR of 5, ranking for your target keywords.

If you had optimised, doing everything they are, and had a PR of say.. 6 or 7, are you definately going to top them?

If this is correct, in order to top someone on the search engines (optimising a new site), you have to make sure you're doing everything they are (and more) in terms of on page optimisation, and have a higher PR?

I realise theres alot of factors to SEO, but in a nutshell - Am I right?

Thanks,
    Matt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically you're asking if site A and site B both had the same content (let's ignore duplicate content issues for you anal people out there) and one had PR 5 and one had PR 7 who would come out on top?

And if the PR 7 site always comes out on top, is there anything the PR 5 site can do to overcome this?

Good questions

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the PR5 site (or index) may still be stronger if it was around before you and managed to get lots of links to the individual pages due to being #1 well before you entered the picture. I'm battling something similiar to this when I try to branch into new markets.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does Google determine how old a website is? by the time that it first discovered it, or by the registration date of the domain?

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The age of the site isn't really a factor, unless the site is too new to be established in the index. But really, a 1-year-old site is no different than a 7-year-old site, except that the older site is more likely to have acquired a large number of incoming links.

If two sites have identical structures, identical content and all their incoming links have the same anchor text, then - if we ignore penalties - the site with the higher number of incoming links will win.

Of course it will! PR is a part of Google's algorithm. It's not the only part, but if we take it to the extreme and highly unusual case where two sites score the same for all other relevancy tests, but differ on popularity, the more popular site will win.

In the same way, two sites with identical content and identical PR may rank differently if one site has "Click here" as the text of all its incoming links, and the other has relevant keywords in its incoming links.

As another example, two sites with an equal number of identical links pointing to it that don't have the same content will rank differently, depending on which site has a higher density, or better placement, for the keywords being searched for.

So in response to matt's original question, yes, you're right - in a nutshell.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn