SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: How does this site rate?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent

2 50.00%
  • Good

0 0%
  • Fair

0 0%
  • It just sucks, get a real job!

2 50.00%
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please Review Political Site

Hello Everyone,

I'll be meeting with my client Fla. State Rep, Bev Kilmer tommorrow Wednesday 6/26 to go over some final approvals for this site before it is put online.

In the meantime, I would very much appreciate some input.

The only thing incomplete is :

Contact Bev Page
    Breaking up news headlines/stories across multiple pages.

-----------------------------
    IMPORTANT: The stories on the system I just stuck in to fill space. To view what a acutal "formatted story" looks like click on "LEGISLATION->K-12 COMMITTEE"
    ------------------------------

http://216.97.4.18/

Thanks Much!!

-holmescreek

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE 5.0
    14.1"
    1024 x 768

Your site looks good, only I think there are too many colors, dark ones at that, and they sort of clash (perhaps just my opinion).

Also that elephant thing (obviously I am not American) just looks like it got stuck on the bottom since it is longer than the rest of the page.

But really, the whole thing looks really good!

Dianna

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very very nice holmes creek.

Somehow, it just looks like a politician's site and fits into the category. I don't think there's anything I would change about the site.

I can't seem to find anything to critique except maybe the clash of colors which dianna already pointed out.

So here's what's good:
    design is clean and navigation is easy to use.
    wonderful usage of php/mysql with mod_rewrite so that everything is search engine friendly.

great job
    My computer: Dell Latitude CPx | P3 650/500 w/ 256 MB RAM | 15" 1024x768 | IE 5.5 DSL
    gO rEd SoX! | "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return" - Christian, Moulin Rouge
    l e a r n t o q u e s t i o n | c l i o 3 6 0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions on color. I meet with the client yesterday and she basically approved the site right off the bat. My senator was there, and now he wants one too.

I plan to bring out the colors in the flag more at the top. I'll probably end up changing the navigation tabs to white text on red when the mouse hovers instead of the rotating stars.

Dianna, about the elephant, there will be some more information at the bottom left of it. I stuck the "elephant box" in at the bottom with the drop shadow to overlap the rest of the page. To me it seems to make the page a little more asymetrical and less "boxy" It will also probably link to the Republican National Committee.

One of the complexities that you won't see is the backend database system where as users can input stories, political polls and update the calendar. Overall, I threw this site together in about 8 days and had it online for her initial approval.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah - nice job, I bet you are happy with it.
    PowerMac 9600/300 OS 8.6
    IE 5
    Resolution - what-ever I resize my browser window to.

A couple of things:

1. The headlines of the article teasers at the bottom of the home page are a bit skewif in my browser. I will try and attach a small section of the screendump. If you don't see it attached to my post it means I have been assasinated - no probably just means I couldn't work it out. Then email me your return email address and I'll send it to you.

2. The family montage image "fam1.jpg". Can you do something with that image in Photoshop or whatever to match the white background in the upper-left corner to that of the upper-right corner?

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, FreakySid. Much of your assistance with tech questions in other forums really helped me out when building the site.

You can send me mail at holmescreek@wfeca.net

Since you are using a Mac, it would be interesting to see what the site looks like from your "distorted" perception.

Yeah, here is the link to the before site (I DID NOT do the old site) which will be online until the domain name is transferred. - http://www.bevkilmer.com

The family photos came from the existing site (urk) and had to do the best I could with the images I had -- you can see the montage that someone else did on the original site (yuk). I'll take your advice and change the left corner to match the other background.
    Last edited by holmescreek; Jun 28, 2001 at 12:25.