SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Linux Installation Help

I'm wanting to install Linux Mandrake 7.2. I'm fairly familiar with it since I had it on another system, but I want to install it on this one. I have a four gig hd (I know, small, but it'll have to suffice), and I want to partition two gigs to Windows and the remaining two to Mandrake. Everytime I attempt to install it [Mandrake], it gives me an error and tells me the drive is too fragmented, even after I finished running defrag as well as Norton Speed Disk (I'm aware that it's notorious for leaving data fragments at the end of a disk). Since I cannot install Linux this way, does anybody know of a partitioning tool out there (preferably free, yet reliable) that I can use to partition the drive into two, two gig sections, and then install Mandrake using the existing and empty two gig partition? Your help is appreciated. Thanks!
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maxtor ships a nice program called "MaxBlastPlus" with its new HDs. It is also available to download for free. It does the job, with a graphical interface. However it will format your computer in the process. Is this an option? If it is, you could get by with FDISK - it does the job fine.

Besides that, I haven't ever used any good free partitioning programs. If you are willing to invest $70 towards a great program, PartitionMagic is perfect for what you want to do. It gives you loads of control.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Norton Speed Disk is the source of your problem, you may want to try using 'Disk Defragmenter' that comes with Windows. Who knows, you might just be in luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LoL. Dominique -- I love you avatar/signature. My best friend loves cows. However, that's beside the point. I've tried Window's defrag -- does no good. =(
    Colin Anderson
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx, I like my avatar and signature as well. It puts a little humor back into the SitePoint Community Forums!

I find it odd that you cannot defrag your HD properly... Unfortunately I cannot think of another other solutions besides what Aidan proposed.

You only have four gigs on your systems so a complete reformat might not be that much of a sacrifice...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only concern really is whether my modem will work. I'm pretty sure that it will (i.e. I don't think it's a winmodem [software modem or whatever]), but I don't want to risk it.... On my comp upstairs, even though it is a winmodem, I can't connect with Linux of course, but after I reinstalled Windows I still can't connect to it because I don't have drivers for it. So if I lose Internet ability with this computer, I'm in a ditch.
    Colin Anderson
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot seem to find the Maxtor utility at the maxtor site.... Also, what is FDISK?
    Colin Anderson
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FDISK is a program that comes with Windows to format your HD

Sean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aes,

FDISK is a great big scary monster . You can seriously eradicate all you data with this program if you don't know what you are doing - literaly 2 maybe three key presses and ZAP!!! all gone.

Try Diskeeper at www.diskeeper.com MS use a cut down version as their defrag in win2k, they do a trial version that is only time limited (it's not hobbled in any) and it really does a good job fast.

I am not sure about Norton but MS's defrag does just that it defrags files only, it can still leave your HD with files all over the place leaving you with no areas of continus free space. This is most likley the problem that Mandrake is complaining about. Diskeeper will do a full job and move everything out of the way.

Good luck

Simon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aes
    I still can't connect to it because I don't have drivers for it.
    For real?!? That sucks! Did you check the modem manufacturer's website? They usually have all the drivers for all the products they make.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aes
    I cannot seem to find the Maxtor utility at the maxtor site.... Also, what is FDISK?
    The Maxtor download site is at http://www.maxtor.com/softwaredownlo..._Downloads.htm . You'll want MaxBlastPlus for partitioning.

FDISK isn't a great big scary monster, but it can be confusing if you are new to it. Also, it can easily erradicate all data on your hard drive. Use it with care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked their site a while ago, and they didn't have drivers for download because of copyright reasons or something stupid like that. They could only point me to this modem site that didn't help at all. =( Thank you everyone else for all of your posts, It's helping a lot. I'm going to check out MaxBlastor and Diskeeper.
    Thanks.
    Colin Anderson
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aes
    I checked their site a while ago, and they didn't have drivers for download because of copyright reasons or something stupid like that.
    Did you check if Windows had the necessary drivers? It has quite an extensive list of manufacturers and generic drivers that might bring back some life to your modem. *cross your fingers!*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed Diskeeper. Only, everytime I attempt to run it, it gives me an error "Failed to launch Diskeeper engine for this volume MATRIX (C:)" where MATRIX (C:) is my hd of course. But, here's a kicker. Right before this post, I tried it and it worked! Analyzed it an everything, only now it won't analyze or defragment? Anyone know or use this program and can tell me what's wrong?
    Colin Anderson
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found another obstacle in my way. MaxBlastPlus will only run if at least one Maxtor hd is installed in the system. I don't believe I have a Maxtor hd. It appears I'm screwed either way. Perhaps I should throw up my hands and just give up?
    Colin Anderson
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aes
    Perhaps I should throw up my hands and just give up?
    Never give up, never give up! You must not let the computer defeat you!

You should try FDISK (Don't aks me how, I never had the need to use it) or find a friend that has Partition Magic (you have got to know someone who has it, or shell out the US$ 49.95 to buy it [worst case senario]).