User Tag List

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Script that prevents junk entries?

I'm looking for a script that will prevent someone from entering bogus contact information and email (like zxcvl@weosvxsd.com - similar to the type of junk that spammers use) just to get access to a certain "members area" . Anyone know of some kind of authentication script that will let you instantly verify the mail address?

I remember reading about such a script awhile back, but I dont remember where..I'm hoping some of you SitePointers can point me in the right direction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do one of two things (actually, you can do both):
    • Have the script use a regular expression to make sure the address is in a valid format (IE: bob@bob.com would work, but bobb@ would not).
    • Have the script send a confirmation email so that the person has to confirm their membership.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a third option. You can get a script to connect to their mail server and ask if that user account exists, using SMTP. Many servers will tell you a user account exists even if it doesn't, but at least that way will verify that the domain exists.

Read this article for more info:

http://www.zend.com/zend/spotlight/ev12apr.php

The best way by far though is to e-mail a confirmation code to the user and ask them to visit a link that confirms they have recieved the mail.