SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interlinking versions of different languages.

I am working on a page that will be available in three different languages. Each version will be hosted under the same domainname but with the appropriate ending: .com, .de ... Just like Amazone and Google do it. In terms of searchengines it will be even the best to host them in the relating countries. Here comes the problem: It was planned that the user can navigate to the pages in other languages from every page via dropdownmenu. I am worried that searchengines will interprete this massive interlinking as some kind of spam. On the other hand the searchengines should have problems interpreting the javascript of the dropdownmenu and following the links.

I am searching for the best setup for this scenario. Maybe it even would be better to host all three language versions under one domain and from one server. I would favor the other solution, the separation of the domains and maybe even the servers.
    I am looking forward to hear some experiences from others, alternative ideas and further difficulties that should be taken into consideration.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hosting in other countries is not a necessity. A lot of Japanese sites were & still are hosted by US servers.

I would go against the javascript dropdown but you can simply rectify that by just adding a text link to the bottom.

I'm no expert like some of the guys here but if you have no problem with it you can seperate the domain & possibly build up better search listings for each seperate domain.

As far as search engines go Google & other spiders automatically can tell which language a site is in. These spiders even correctly converts the datas encoding for it's own data storage. For example in Japanese there's 3 different ways to encode the data. Google & all other search engines will automatically convert each to it's own preference.

My company owner has done 4 language web sites & most likely after the initial page they don't need a language select. If they come in from an Arabic search engine for example they will more than likely land at an arabic listing instead of an English page.

We usually have hosted multilingual sites under the same domain though...
    IDN Domains The future of Domaining.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the detailed answer!
    I am still worried that it could be considered as spam when I will use seperate domains and interlink them.

...most likely after the initial page they don't need a language select.
    Yes, I thought about this aswell. But some people search in english and not in their own language, when they will find a page they wont know that this page exists in their own language(and very likely they would prefer that).

I am still not sure.