SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what's called the BUSINESS of WEBDESIGNER?

hey,
    ok, i've reach a stage that consider myself to have money , joking.I've heard so much of webdesigners. It's a job which is growing incredibly. Please tell me a lot more about this job, i think it's trying to get into my mind.
    -It's risk
    -it's value
    -It's job
    -It's Advantages
    -It's disadvantages
    -It's age (age can be a webdesigner)
    -It's futur
    -It's importance

all these answers remain anonymous for me at the moment, hope i'll know a bit more with this thread ,
    hope u learn also!,

Brain - Brian
    Out of subject: Hey, check my theory!,
    human is using 6 % of it's brain capacity.I think that religion ,god, life after death, are created by our spirit, brain. Yes, during our life, we create what we think will happen and happens what we thought created!,

signed Brain - brian
    BrianStudio - the webdesign company
    Professional & Affordable
    Brian Dove - Senior Graphic Designer
    Direct Hire: info@brianstudio.com

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me see if I understand what you mean. Here's some ideas for you to ponder:

Risks of being a webdesigner:
    Every job has risks. Going into business for yourself, you should understand that you won't have a steady income, like you would working under an employer. You'll have months where you make a great profit, and others where you'll fall short. It would help you to know a good bit about bookeeping/accounting before you take the plunge! Believe me, it will save you lots of headaches

Values of being a webdesigner:
    If you love designing websites, and if you have the experience to back you up, the value of the job comes from the satisfaction you get of knowing that you've done great work and that your client is incredibly pleased with the results. That's enough of a value to me!

Your job as a webdesigner:
    Web designer/developer/master has all sorts of different meanings to different people. It could just mean designing a website (layout, graphics, navigation) or it could mean programming the entire database backend for a content-driven site, or administrating the entire thing! Be sure you know what your client means when they say "I need a web designer!"

The advantages of being a web designer
    Designing web pages is a great outlet for creativity and ideas! Plus, you'll be on the forefront of the latest internet technology.

The disadvantages of being a web designer
    There are soooooo many "web designers" out there who dont care about customer service, doing the job right, or responding in a prompt and courteous manner. They have made their first home page on GeoCities and instantly proclaim themselves a designer. Companies and individuals who run a small business don't want their business in the hands of someone's 8 year old neighbor kid who put up his first Pokemon webpage yesterday. Its hard for businesses to know where to find professional web designers, because everyone advertises themselves as such.

Web designer's age
    This is tricky, in that you can have a web designer who is an absolute wizard at programming and scripting, and be 12 years old. I am simply amazed at the capabilities of some of the younger members here. I would hire them in a second to do an advanced programming job, because their work speaks for itself. On the other hand, Those in the 18+ age bracket tend to have more "real world" experience dealing with business owners and corporations. Companies are more likely to take an older person seriously about a design contract than a teenager (usually). Unfortunately (in the USA, anyway) teenagers get a bad rap for being irresponsible about their duties. That's a shame, because they can really produce some outstanding work.

The future of web design
    With terms like XML and WAP being thrown around, its important to stay on top of the latest technological developments. That doesnt mean go out and cram lots of XML-supported tags into your webpage...not just yet. Keep an eye on current and upcoming trends, but also keep in mind that the web has a broad base of users, and not everyone is going to appreciate all the bells and whistles!

The importance of being a webdesigner
    The job is only as important as you make it. I would love to spend my life designing sites for others. Other designers simply look at webmastering as getting some bonus cash for spending. Each one has its pros and cons, but as long as the designer does the job right and maintains customer satisfaction, the importance will follow naturally

Whew!! I've written enough for this to be an article for the tribune... Hope that helps all of you aspiring designers out there! Best of luck!
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good points Sparkie, couldn't have said it better myself. I look forward to reading that article!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey,
    thanx for the great articles. But please, i really need to know the prices. What if i become a webdesigner and dunno the prices!, customers would play with me!, could u please give me a price of a design for me not to be lost please,
    maybe the design of http://www.areacool.com/index7.htm
    or http://wwww.areacool.com , as you said, "my" webdesign would be to "design" only, not dealing with content!,
    Brian

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian, like everything else, price is very subjective. Basically, you will earn as much as a client is willing to pay. At the moment if I was a potential client I would not pay you anything becuase you don't really have a client portfolio, but start building one up and I am sure you will get work. The more websites that you have in your portfiolio the more you can gradually charge because you have more experience under your belt.

PS. SOme advice - I often see people on these boards saying "But I do have a portfiolio." Trust me clients are not stupid, your own website, your friend's or your mum's DO NOT COUNT. They may have given you a spring board for you to learn but to build up a portfolio you really need some business/organisation website. Even if you have to do 2/3 for free, approach a small local business and offer to do them a website as long as they cover costs for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have never seen a real and professional portfolio, could u give me an address of one of them for me to see how it's organised, how the client contact the webdesigner, what category it can contain,.....

Thanx

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, check out Sparkie's website
    www.pawsitronic.com
    She has quite a nice portfolio!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this domain pawsitronic is very difficult to remember, i have problems with it ,
    any others
    Brian

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by koolbrian
    this domain pawsitronic is very difficult to remember, i have problems with it ,
    any others
    Brian
    What do you mean, Brian?
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Brian Farkas' site, www.infostardesign.com . You won't find pricing information there, but he has a good portfolio too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you want a great portfolio go visit http://www.kioken.com
    Soccer Directory | Travel Directory
    (free - reciprocal will give you featured status)

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably the most successful local (Singapore) web development firm, they actually have had VCs invest in them during the hey days of the Internet.

http://www.pandora.com.sg/

Its a Flash only site.

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.oyster.co.uk is IMHO the leading firm in UK web design. Look at the client list and you'll see my point

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And of course there's always http://sitepointdesign.com

For more on freelancing as a web designer, contracts, and what to charge, check out:

http://builder.cnet.com/webbuilding/0-7251.html
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.