SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kickstarting a Community: First 100 members

Let's compile a list of ideas on how to kickstart a community, and get 100 members in under a month. Ideas that are low budget and ideas that need some money are all welcome.

If you are going to say get your url out on some other web oages, do us one better at point out some specific pagesd that you can get onto, how to get onto it, and how well it works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, I don't think this belongs in a different forum. There is one specifically on the topic of Building a Community.

But to kickstart your list of ideas:
    Create an attractive signature and make quality posts on communities with related topics. This approach will draw the attention of potential members to your community and may persuade them to register.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do post exchanges with other webmasters.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxS
    You can do post exchanges with other webmasters.
    How do you mean MaXS? In that you sign up on their forum and post their and they post back on yours. Seems like a good starting place I guess.

I have always ensured I have a fanbase behind me - my site only has 70-odd members but has a lot of posts for a forum of that size.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am trying free raffles and contests with prizes to attract a few members, i'll see how that works out.

(And you're right i should've posted this under building a community i guess. If any admin/mods see this i'd be happy if you moved it.)

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on forum content. Tech sites can generally get 100+ members very quickly in the first month if you have some experts on board from day one. Post on some of the yahoo lists with your site in your email sig. We got 80 odd in one day on a tech board l used to run for a single u2 support forum. We had one of the real u2 gurus onboard, and people joined soley to get his support.

Also helped we had a few tutorials covering the more exotic things you can do with the technology.

Not sure if the same applies to general discussion boards etc.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easiest way to get 100 members in a month is to provide a decent community with a decent skin/domain.

Make sure you have say 5 or so active members that post alot, have new topics that are interesting in each of the forums.

Run a competition, not a referal one (will bring dead wood) perhaps something more relevent to the nature of the community, e.g photoshop forum, have a design contest.

Plug it in forums, e-mail people about your website, put some banners on sites, link exchange, viral marketing...whatever it takes

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give them an incentive to register. Once they register, they're more likely to post something. Once they post something, they're more likely to return to see replies to their post. Once they see replies to their posts, they'll post again, and then again, and again...

The trick is to get them to register. DON'T force them to register to see the board. I hate that myself, and I would never register on a board that refuses to let me see what's happening first.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, i got some of my forums visible to guests, but some not. and the only place guests can post is in the feedback section. Can you tell me if too much is hidden before registration? www.zerstoren.com/forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    join top sites or webrings just do a search on yahoo or say a word on chats.
    Purchase any JaduSoft products in 10$ only offer ends 1st July
    Try a Live demo before you purchase, Best software.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to rentacoder.com or some other freelance community and pay a few dollars to everyone who makes a good informative post in your forum. This might not be the cheapest way though ...
    Learn more about Solar Panel Installation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contests work pretty well. If you want a LOT of users and don't care who they are or what they know offer .10/post and advertise on free stuff forums.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard one very good method is too be active on many other communities, and have a link in your sig. that is noticeable.

but as the webmaster of a liesure website... what are some good communities to be active in for this purpose?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why do everyone want so many members then no one is active?
    just download a script that auto create users if you want inactive users
    You gotta have good content and let the users register if they want

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Setup an AI Bot for your Forum, and let it do the answering of messages etc, some members will get into chatting with it. I am in the middle of creating an AMIL file for my forum http://internetassistant.co.uk that will answer questions about networks and the Internet. Takes all the work out of a forum if you do it correctly. I have used the same method on a few forums and correctly done its not easy to guess if an answer came from a bot or from a person.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckandes1
    I am trying free raffles and contests with prizes to attract a few members, i'll see how that works out.

(And you're right i should've posted this under building a community i guess. If any admin/mods see this i'd be happy if you moved it.)
    I believe that is a pretty good starting point. I have seen this done at other forums and it can be effective. What types of prizes are you offering?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say a good branding work, a nice template and a serious work could get you the first 100 quite fast. As the main admin and man in chanrge you need to start new threads like crazy and post as much as you can. I don't favour the bogus accounts (the admin creates more accounts and starts the talking so that it looks like there are more people there). I have made some good post exchanges and I also have my share of "faithfull" members.
    You need to post many many things. I see many forums that are empty since the admins think the potential members love to join an empty forum. Well they don't. And they don't fancy forums with default skins and the scripts logo instead of the branded logo of the community. And your new members won't start new topics, that's your job.

So ... to cut it short: mod the theme, do some branding (logo and slogan), create threads and you'll have some members. Try to reply fast and always come up with new topics.

it will pay off eventually