User Tag List

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Featured vs. Classic View of forums...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    BTW - if you have any suggestions as to how you feel it could be improved start a thread in the feedback forum. And if you really just don't like it then fair enough, use the option to switch to the default view - it's cookied so you shouldn't have to switch back and forth too often.
    Should be a user option stored in the database. When people use multiple computers either because they are in a lab, accessing the site on the road or whatever, cookies don't cut it. Since there is already a complete profile system to handle this it should be used. The vBulletin code doesn't even have to be changed to do this. Just add a custom profile field and set the view appropriately in the phpinclude_start template. It is a five minute job to make it a profile option that has been requested for well over a year.

Personally, I just gave up and stopped visiting as often as other webmaster forums allow me to get to the information without the hassle of changing a view constantly. And that statement is pretty sad coming from the former administrator of this forum.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant
    Should be a user option stored in the database. When people use multiple computers either because they are in a lab, accessing the site on the road or whatever, cookies don't cut it. Since there is already a complete profile system to handle this it should be used. The vBulletin code doesn't even have to be changed to do this. Just add a custom profile field and set the view appropriately in the phpinclude_start template. It is a five minute job to make it a profile option that has been requested for well over a year.

Personally, I just gave up and stopped visiting as often as other webmaster forums allow me to get to the information without the hassle of changing a view constantly. And that statement is pretty sad coming from the former administrator of this forum.
    I fully agree Even I don't find myself visiting SPF too often as I Do Switch a lot between my laptop and desktop and switching everytime to classic view is a pain in ****.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree as well, I get annoyed every time I visit with my laptop as its set to the featured view...
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fortunately, I am cookied so don't have to deal with this often. I agree it is a PITA as is the option to open links in a new window . Both should be offered as an option in the user profie IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree too, hate having to login and then change back to classic view at college

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is this classic view you speak of?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely agree. I can't stand featured view.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moonshield
    What is this classic view you speak of?
    Classic view is the one that shows all the forums [their latest thread/poster/etc] - basically the standard view for vBulletin. Featured view is the default one on SitePoint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only recently started using the classic view and prefer it more now, its just a pain (as said above) to keep on setting it each time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you would like to use classic view all the time even if you don't preserve cookies, then you can bookmark this URL instead of the normal forum URL:

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/classic.php
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog · Twitter · Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework · Jokes · Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have any good reasons not to make it an option stored in the database? That would obviously be the best option when it comes to usability, and clearly it's what the people want.

And considering it's a five minute job (that's if Wayne up there is correct, which I would assume that he is), I can't see any good reason for you not to do this if not only out of spite and arrogance really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmj
    If you would like to use classic view all the time even if you don't preserve cookies, then you can bookmark this URL instead of the normal forum URL:

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/classic.php
    But how are we meant to bookmark that URL when on the road? I use misc. computers at college and I can't preserve bookmarks on a computer or per/user account.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he just meant if you dont preserve the cookies on your PC. Not when you are travelling around!

SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way the featured view is implemented sucks, in my honest opinion. Sitepoint should bring the user to the classic view and show the featured threads at the top; doing this will allow the casual readers to find the most interesting topics and it allows regular posters to get directly to what they want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The easiest way would be to store the option in the database. I'm sure there are people who love using the classic view and people who love using the featured view. I don't think they need to be changed.

If SP wants to promote the featured view, then I'm sure they will keep it as default; the option will only be there for the dedicated classic view users, who won’t budge.