SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Bring the reputation system back except it would no longer support the ability to give negative rep. I would also change the way the control panel section behaved so that people can easily find *all* of the posts they have made which gave them reputation; it is an extremely valuable tool when trying to help others who have had the same problem.

2. New PM notifications should be a normal part of the page and not an alert prompt which calls a javascript routine to open windows. When I am browsing SitePoint with the popup blocker disabled, I get an alert telling me that I got a new PM and I have an option to open in a new window that doesn't work. Not to mention that I have to explicitly tell it to go away if I don't want to read it at that very moment. With the New PM notifications being a normal part of the page, I would have much more control over how the page opens (such as: in the background) and everything would work. Not to mention the fact that you don't have to explicitly tell it to go away before you can do anything else. It is strange considering that SitePoint works around popup blockers for their advertisements but not for functionality that matters to the end user...

3. I would assign an ID to the <html> tag so we can specifically target sitepoint's message board with user stylesheets. Not only would this add a new layer of accessibility, but it would also allow the community to design their own sitepoint themes and distribute them with others.

4. When hiding a whole category of forums, it should also hide the description that is applied to the category. Afterall, they will have already figured out what the category is for if they chose to hide it, plus it would make the hiding functionality even more useful because the hiden categories take up less space on the screen.

5. Remove the "Calendar" link at the top. The calendar is fairly pointless.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add <link rel="next"> etc., so that it's easier to follow multi-page threads without having to use the mouse.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo
    Add <link rel="next"> etc., so that it's easier to follow multi-page threads without having to use the mouse.
    +1. Not only would this increase accessibility for keyboard users, but Opera users would also benefit from this because there's a toolbar that pops up at the top which contains buttons for these things and the toolbar is always visible. That would be a nice way to improve the navigation around Sitepoint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ainslie X11
    Uniforms for sitepoint staff - orange ties, blue sweaters & grey shorts
    I was born intelligent,
    But Google ruined me.

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    - Signatures showing for visitors and bots
    - A new reputation system
    - A better control on the contests forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megamanXplosion

2. New PM notifications should be a normal part of the page and not an alert prompt which calls a javascript routine to open windows. When I am browsing SitePoint with the popup blocker disabled, I get an alert telling me that I got a new PM and I have an option to open in a new window that doesn't work. Not to mention that I have to explicitly tell it to go away if I don't want to read it at that very moment. With the New PM notifications being a normal part of the page, I would have much more control over how the page opens (such as: in the background) and everything would work. Not to mention the fact that you don't have to explicitly tell it to go away before you can do anything else. It is strange considering that SitePoint works around popup blockers for their advertisements but not for functionality that matters to the end user...
    This is something I would really like too. Oh and it would be nice to have rep back as well!

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    - No more 0-post-users' "Sell Your Template" auctions...
    - "Advertise Your Services" visible but not accessible for <25-posts-users. They keep asking where to post an advertisment, as they don't see the place for it. So they post in "Trade Your Services" or "Sell Your Template". If they'd see the forum and were not able to post, they wouldn't (...yes, hopefully...) post it somewhere else.
    - How-to-change-my-username added to FAQ (How many threads with this questions have we seen?)
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would assign an ID to the <html> tag so we can specifically target sitepoint's message board with user stylesheets. Not only would this add a new layer of accessibility, but it would also allow the community to design their own sitepoint themes and distribute them with others.
    I second that one, and then triple it.

I second this one too. As an Opera user, keyboard navigation is how I get around pages.

If I could improve SitePoint it wouldn't only be on the forums. I'd get some more bloggers, and get the current bloggers to blog more. I'd get more articles going too, it seems to have slowed down lately. Get some more content besides articles and blogs. I'd also get moderators to get more highlighted threads going, I use this a lot to find something interested to read.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Offer beer tokens that could be passed to members for genuinely helpfull comments that could be cashed at a bar of their choice ..... logistics could pose a problem though.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Tranquility
    well when this feature will be ready ? I've already found a post that its poster deserves a shock guess who John do u have any idea ?
    Testing the wires now...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is Rep?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The reputation system was a thingie where you could give users anonymous positive/negative feedback on their post. Positive feedback added points, while negative lowered them.

Apparently, it was abused by some members (AKA rep-whores) so it was disabled.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Egor
    (AKA rep-whores)
    I never even gave negative rep

My suggestions: close the marketplace and give my postcount to whoever wants the shame.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    I never even gave negative rep

My suggestions: close the marketplace and give my postcount to whoever wants the shame.
    The rep-beggars and negative rep givers ruined rep.

And I'd love to see the marketplace go bye-bye. Make SPF a pure discussion forum. But that's easy for me to say since I don't participate in the marketplace at all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    And I'd love to see the marketplace go bye-bye. Make SPF a pure discussion forum. But that's easy for me to say since I don't participate in the marketplace at all.
    Same here John. I think at the moment it requires way too much mod-attention, considering the posts there aren't contributing to the community in any way.

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    (...) I think at the moment it requires way too much mod-attention, considering the posts there aren't contributing to the community in any way.
    I see so many 1-post members' "Sell Your Template" auctions. Apparently they've joined only to make some money here treating SPF as another marketplace-only site. They don't post anywhere else, don't read the Guidelines ("Why should I? Waste of time..."), don't even compose their auction threads in a professional manner
    For me SYT should be accessible only for 25+ post users.
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ...considering the posts there aren't contributing to the community in any way.

Umm. PHP Guru....Naaaah jaswinder_rana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by varelse
    I see so many 1-post members' "Sell Your Template" auctions. Apparently they've joined only to make some money here treating SPF as another marketplace-only site. They don't post anywhere else, don't read the Guidelines ("Why should I? Waste of time..."), don't even compose their auction threads in a professional manner
    For me SYT should be accessible only for 25+ post users.
    ---------------------------
    Errors = Improved Programming.
    My Site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*ebay type reputation system
    *split contest forum into logo, template and misc.
    *stricter control for contest forum

(...) I think at the moment it requires way too much mod-attention, considering the posts there aren't contributing to the community in any way.
    :-p most of my post counts are from the marketplace, thats the first place i check every morning.
    ichi

IchiStudio Graphic Design
    IchiStudio :: IchiStudio Portfolio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would improve the forums interface... is good but it could be better

reads the ********* Crier silver trophybronze trophy longneck's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaswinder_rana
    I wasn't aware, until i read this one, that when robots crawl Sitepoint then sigs don't show up. i am wondering, why is that??
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Tranquility
    - Signatures showing for visitors and bots
    seems to me the reason is that people think having links to their website all over the place on sitepoint will increase their standings on google and other search engines. letting the robots see signatures would, in my opinion, taint search results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have the option of a knowledge-base, whereby mentors can mark threads which answer a general question that is asked a lot and it gets copied to the knowledge-database where can we can gather a large pool of information

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean C
    Have the option of a knowledge-base, whereby mentors can mark threads which answer a general question that is asked a lot and it gets copied to the knowledge-database where can we can gather a large pool of information
    Good Idea!