SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand that guy's forum. It says he has over 1 million posts in one category, yet, when I go to the forum, there's only like 3 people posted. I have a feeling he is exaggerating his forum numbers. Can you enlighten me?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be grateful for $50 a month from my website. It took me one year to get $100 in AdSense. I have direct advertisers that pull in about $4 a month, which is just enough for hosting Of course I enjoy working on the website, but I mainly get money by doing some design or programming work, but no huge figures.

Massimiliano Bruno Giordano sid egg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charmedlover
    I'd be grateful for $50 a month from my website. It took me one year to get $100 in AdSense. I have direct advertisers that pull in about $4 a month, which is just enough for hosting Of course I enjoy working on the website, but I mainly get money by doing some design or programming work, but no huge figures.
    Quote Originally Posted by lowter
    An error was encountered
    Error: Unable to fetch guest information.
    thats why? :P
    GamesLib.com - the slickest, most complete and
    easily navigatible flash games site on the web.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krohnathlonman
    I haven't seen anybody toss up anything really big yet finished April at $23k in ads and I'm on pace to finish May at about $28k

Largest money maker is of course www.iamnotageek.com which is a software information site with an active forum and very large archive of good articles.
    Wait, how much traffic do you get?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sid egg
    Wait, how much traffic do you get?
    also how much does he spend on severs ?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats why? :P

Actually my webhosting company is pulling some BS, again, so my website is currently down. All the files seemed to have been restored, but MySQL isn't back up.

To make a long story short you can view this:

http://www.webhosthelpdesk.com/?_a=a...=details&_i=57

My website doesn't normally look like that Hopefully it'll be back up soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charmedlover
    Actually my webhosting company is pulling some BS, again, so my website is currently down. All the files seemed to have been restored, but MySQL isn't back up.

To make a long story short you can view this:

http://www.webhosthelpdesk.com/?_a=a...=details&_i=57

My website doesn't normally look like that Hopefully it'll be back up soon.
    Actually, I cannot view that, I see:

Quote Originally Posted by thelinkyougaveus
    30 May 2005 -
    Last edited by , 30 May 2005

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skunker
    I don't understand that guy's forum. It says he has over 1 million posts in one category, yet, when I go to the forum, there's only like 3 people posted. I have a feeling he is exaggerating his forum numbers. Can you enlighten me?
    The bottom few forums he has are mirrors of Usenet newsgroups, which predate the web. They're big.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd tell you if I could, but you never know who's watching these boards... IRS maybe? employees?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spend about £150k ($273k) per month on the ppc engines to bring visitors to my network of approx. 10 to 15 sites (depending on what I am promoting on any given month). This in turn generates between £50k ($91k) and £100k ($182k) per month in profit. Of course some of that profit comes from natural listings (SEO) but probably only a very small percentage as I'm mainly ppc.

Cheers!
    Bingo | Poker | Credit Cards | Toys | Read my blog here

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I cannot view that, I see:
    The link may have been down, but it is working fine for me. It basically says about the server problem and they're taking their time to recover it, well it actually says working fast. I got a support response for 24 - 40 hour recovery! I know servers and that's ridiculous, they must have included breaks to take a crap and eat a huge lunch.

I know that a 24 hour period is way over their uptime guarantee, so I checked their policy. According to them downtime is when the server isn't available online, which isn't the case now. My websites run on MySQL, they had better not pull my leg when I ask for a refund of my money because the website was 'up' but there were software issues!

How am I ever suppose to make money online if I have a crappy hosting company. I'm looking at a VPS as I type, to take care of this mess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well compared to some of the people in here, I'm not really successful at all. But judging by my own standards which I've set for myself, I've done alright. While I don't want to give the exact figures of how much I make every month, partly because it goes up and down like a roller coaster (thanks Burst and Google for you various rates), I am doing this full time, and I make more than enough money to get by in one of the most expensive countries to live in (Norway).

So I'm "satisfied", in the way that I'm happy with what I've achieved so far. I'm also however not satisfied, in the way that I feel that the sky's the limit, really.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My site.

I am not so successfull comparing to you guys, but comparing to Hebrew (israeli) sites I think I am successful. My site www.managersnet.net have 2000 UNIQUE visitors per day and I am making something about 50$ per month.

Now I am planning to build an english version to this site (the site is about the great game Football Manager), and more sites in english. My goal is to get 1K per month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tounano
    I am not so successfull comparing to you guys, but comparing to Hebrew (israeli) sites I think I am successful. My site www.managersnet.net have 2000 UNIQUE visitors per day and I am making something about 50$ per month.

Now I am planning to build an english version to this site (the site is about the great game Football Manager), and more sites in english. My goal is to get 1K per month.
    Woah woah, hold on just a second here.. $50 per month, but your goal is to hit $1k/mo?? Dude, calm down for a second. Perhaps focus on a more realistic goal, like.. $150/mo? Why not also target some Israeli ad agencies, and see if any of their clients can use some branding? I know you think that because most of the heavy hitter advertisers are USA based and all, but there are some REALLY big ones in Israel. Especially the sports teams, and all the whole sports business. Do some research, because I'm sure you can benefit from some private ad sales rather than depending on AdBrite the whole time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UKoffer
    I spend about £150k ($273k) per month on the ppc engines to bring visitors to my network of approx. 10 to 15 sites (depending on what I am promoting on any given month). This in turn generates between £50k ($91k) and £100k ($182k) per month in profit. Of course some of that profit comes from natural listings (SEO) but probably only a very small percentage as I'm mainly ppc.

Cheers!
    I love this guy's posts!! He's one of the few people beating me in net/gross profits! *******!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I the only one at Sitepoint who took a major beating with Google latest update? Over at WW tons of people with clean sites have been trashed by the Bourbon update. Anyway, untill about 10 days ago I'd say things were going great. Now I am focusing more than ever on projects that don't need SE traffic to be successful. Anyone who wants their success in this game to last must not build their income on free SE traffic, and believe me you don't need be a black hat spammer to be nuked by Google. On the brighter side I just launched a new site 5 days ago and it already got 30 000 visitors, and I haven't used 1$ on marketing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Venix
    Am I the only one at Sitepoint who took a major beating with Google latest update? Over at WW tons of people with clean sites have been trashed by the Bourbon update. Anyway, untill about 10 days ago I'd say things were going great. Now I am focusing more than ever on projects that don't need SE traffic to be successful. Anyone who wants their success in this game to last must not build their income on free SE traffic, and believe me you don't need be a black hat spammer to be nuked by Google. On the brighter side I just launched a new site 5 days ago and it already got 30 000 visitors, and I haven't used 1$ on marketing
    I agree completely. Before when I saw people complaining about their sites getting dropped, I always figured they were using some type of dirty tricks and just weren't owning up to them. This update, I got hammered along with many others and I am clean.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mook-Jon
    Woah woah, hold on just a second here.. $50 per month, but your goal is to hit $1k/mo?? Dude, calm down for a second. Perhaps focus on a more realistic goal, like.. $150/mo? Why not also target some Israeli ad agencies, and see if any of their clients can use some branding? I know you think that because most of the heavy hitter advertisers are USA based and all, but there are some REALLY big ones in Israel. Especially the sports teams, and all the whole sports business. Do some research, because I'm sure you can benefit from some private ad sales rather than depending on AdBrite the whole time.
    Thanks for the tip, but believe me, I am in the Israeli website buisness for something about 9 years (since I was 11), and at these times there is no money in Israeli websites. We have only two ad agencies and they are paying something about 0.5$ CPM. When I'll have enough money I'll make an Israeli AdAgency with good prices. About the sports in Israel, the Sports are stinks..... At Basketball at the last 60 years the same team took the championship for about 59 times, so they don't neeed ads, and in soccer we close to the same situation. We don't have money here.

About my goal, ofcourse first of all my goal is to reach 150$, but the final goal is 1K/MO. I think it's possible, I have some great ideas for sites, and when I'll finish them I believe that the profit is going to be very nice

Btw, it's interesting thread

SitePoint Evangelist Chromate222's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would never expect it to be, given the thread title!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by venix
    Stop scaring me mate, stop scaring me. If Google dropped the hammer on my site, I'd be dead. Seriously, dead. On another note, Google seems to have indexed about 20,000 odd new pages from my site in their latest update, so thanks goes out to Google for that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UKoffer

Cheers!
    you make $182,000 monthly !

Oh god, you must be a marketing and sales genious ! Could you adopt me as a junior student, lol.

SitePoint Evangelist Chromate222's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Venix is right. Always be prepared for Google to just drop your site at any time. It's happened to me before for no obvious reason. I know many others that it's happened to as well. Luckily I had enough sites to keep going. Always be prepared for it to happen.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of my traffic is from search engines but I get a very good amount of direct traffic from old readers. The startup DB is pretty much the only content that is republished. All of the articles, guides, tips etc are original and nearly 100% written by me with only a handfull of exceptions.

I have so many sections on my sites that I don't have a good way of tracking them. Google displays ads on ~160k pages a day. considering googles fill rate plus pages with other ad companies I'm sure I do close to 300k pageviews a day.

I recently launched quite a few new usenet based sites but it generally takes a few months to get them indexed and traffic built up.

I'm currently paying almost $900/mnth for servers.

Dual Xeon 2.8
    2Gb RAM
    3*73Gb SCSI
    RHE3

Another just like it with 5 SCSI drives and RHE4

Also a P4 3.2Ghz 1GB RAM with lots of hard drives for backups and some light DB work. I'm about to upgrade the 5SCSI system to 4GB RAM also since thats my main DB server.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow..ok then, $28.49 this month from 8k unique/month. Damn, i really need to get my act together and do some work. I need some pocket money!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you please give links to the two ad agencies you guys have?

thanks,

Thanks for the tip, but believe me, I am in the Israeli website buisness for something about 9 years (since I was 11), and at these times there is no money in Israeli websites. We have only two ad agencies and they are paying something about 0.5$ CPM. When I'll have enough money I'll make an Israeli AdAgency with good prices. About the sports in Israel, the Sports are stinks..... At Basketball at the last 60 years the same team took the championship for about 59 times, so they don't neeed ads, and in soccer we close to the same situation. We don't have money here.

About my goal, ofcourse first of all my goal is to reach 150$, but the final goal is 1K/MO. I think it's possible, I have some great ideas for sites, and when I'll finish them I believe that the profit is going to be very nice