SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone explain this google mystery for me?

I am by no means an SEO expert or anything. But, I was just checking google to see how many sites link to my website. Google returns 171 sites when I click "Find websites that link to: <your url here>". If I click, "Find websites that contain the term: <Your website here>", it returns 14,100. I visited the first few pages of the google results for the 14,100. They were all links back to my site! How come google doesnt count the vast majority of valid links to my website? The site has been around for around 5 years now, so the majority of these 14,100 sites that contain my website name should be valid links.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Google doesn't list all links it has for a site on purpose. But it does know they are there and uses them when ranking pages. Also, Google only shows links to the specific page you requested (usually the homepgae), not the whole site like other engines do.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    Google doesn't list all links it has for a site on purpose. But it does know they are there and uses them when ranking pages. Also, Google only shows links to the specific page you requested (usually the homepgae), not the whole site like other engines do.
    If Google doesn't return links to your page on purpose when you request them, then why do they even offer that feature? Sounds pretty stupid to me.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by motumbo
    If Google doesn't return links to your page on purpose when you request them, then why do they even offer that feature? Sounds pretty stupid to me.
    But that's what they do. They even admitted it.

Google didn't build their site for webmasters. They built it for users. And if someone who is more then a noob wants to see who is linking to a site, this tool will give them an idea of who is doing it. It just won't be a complete list.