User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Google confusion...

Hi all,
    Bit of a strange one going on here...

My new site RewiredDS has been listed on DMOZ under the Nintendo DS category for a couple of weeks now, and has been listed in Google's SERPs for a month or so longer. Pagerank has been 0/10 until now.

I'm getting referrals from the Google Directory showing in my referrer logs, but when I visit the category, my site isn't listed. Toolbar is showing 0 PR, all Pagerank tools are showing 0 PR aside from Digital Point's PR tracker which shows PR1.

However, looking at Google's cache for that Directory entry here:-
    http://66.102.9.104/custom?q=cache:V...18489179597089

My site is listed with a PR4!!

Has anyone else experienced this? Have Google penalised me somehow? I think some of my search terms are in "the sandbox" due to the fact that I'm page 1 for some terms on MSN and Yahoo, but page 17 for the same terms on Google. Does the sandbox affect the directory?

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see your site in the main Google directory:
    http://www.google.com/Top/Games/Vide...o/Nintendo_DS/

The fact that you rank well in MSN and Yahoo!, but not in Google, does not mean you're "sandboxed". It's a good indication that these engines use different methods of determining search results.

Google's toolbar hasn't been updated in about 2 months. You should never take it seriously, really.

Generally, Google tends to let sites rise a little more slowly than the others. What's happening here is normal, as far as I can tell. Just give it some time, and keep working on building your site.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How bizarre... I've just followed that link you posted and my site isn't there. I've cleared my cache, tried a different browser and everything. Guess the old geoIp is at work again.

The only reason I thought I was sandboxed is that using a "without filters" tool, I rank much higher in Google than when using vanilla Google. Someone over at DigitalPoint suggested that I could be sandboxed...oh well, I'll see how it goes. Thanks fatnewt.

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still see it.

The whole concept of a 'sandbox' has been blown out of proportion, I think. I think sandbox is the wrong term for what happens, and many people have misinterpereted it.

My advice: be wary whenever someone mentions the Google sandbox as a reason for anything.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn