SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same content - many languages - SE spam?

I have a website written in English and I'm considering to translate it into other languages (spanish, german etc.) using a service like http://babelfish.altavista.com/.

My plan is to place the translated articles on the same domain as the English version. I know the translation won't be perfect but I would like to provide an alternative to my visitors.

Would this be considered search engine spam?

And another thing ... Do you think Google AdSense would allow me to place their ads on the translated pages considering the translation would be far from perfect?

Thanks
    Learn more about Solar Panel Installation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That will not be considered spamming, and you can place adsense ads on translated content, but I think it is not such a great idea:
    I believe a bad translation makes your image worse than no translation at all.
    ~ Daniel Macedo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi DMacedo,

Thank you for letting me know. You might be right that's it's better not to translate at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Jakob, don't get me wrong, I said a bad translation makes your image worse than none at all. But I think you should translate them, but by either asking a friend to help you out or pay a professional translator.

I created a film festival web site and wanted to translate it for more languages than I know, because it has an international audience. Not everyone knows English, but the budget restrains and workload on the backend prevented me for more than a Portuguese and English version.

I think you should keep that idea in mind, but provide a quality translation.
    What you don't want is to provide an "engrish" style for foreign languages...

And trust me, babelfish and others alike, create the worse translations you could imagine!
    ~ Daniel Macedo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok - I get your point and I think you're right. I know a little german so I tried the English > German translation. It was not pretty at all :-)

But to tell you the truth my idea about translating the pages is not that honerable. The main purpose is to gain search engine traffic to the translated pages to get a banner impression or the occational AdSense click. Or even better to lead the visitor to my english version for a better experience. But first of all free search engine traffic is my goal doing this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you will have to measure here is this: your web site quality versus page views & impressions.
    You can certainly get impressions, but will that visitor return to the site?

I'd rather have fewer impressions and have a web site that's here to stay due to quality content, than one getting ready for extinction
    ~ Daniel Macedo