SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question AdWords and affiliates: seeking clarification

Hi,

Couldn't find an answer to this at the actual AdWords website, so asking you guys. According to AdWords TOS, is it possible for me as an affiliate to display ads that would take clickers directly to the merchant’s website? For example, I am an Ebay affiliate and make an ad that has “ebay.com” as its Display URL, but the real URL is my affiliate one that goes through CJ.

Are there any limitations that Google puts on such practices? Or is it always necessary to have my own site between the ad and the merchant’s one?

Thanks a lot!

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman
    Thanks, I've come across that page, too. But it's still unclear what they mean by "your site should not mirror (be similar or nearly identical in appearance to) your parent company's or another advertiser's site." Also, "The Display URL is limited to 35 characters; it need not be the same as the URL your ad links to, but it should be an actual URL that is part of your site."

So should it literally be a website of my own that I link to?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamix
    Thanks, I've come across that page, too. But it's still unclear what they mean by "your site should not mirror (be similar or nearly identical in appearance to) your parent company's or another advertiser's site."
    Don't save a copy of ebay.com to your server and point people to that. That'd be a mirror of the parent company's site.

Quote Originally Posted by jamix
    Also, "The Display URL is limited to 35 characters; it need not be the same as the URL your ad links to, but it should be an actual URL that is part of your site."
    "it need not be the same as the URL your ad links to" means while your tracking URL for ebay.com may be "awelkj.com/?stuff", you still use "ebay.com", the URL of the destination page, for the display URL.

You do not need to involve your own server/site anywhere in the process of advertising an affiliate program.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman
    You do not need to involve your own server/site anywhere in the process of advertising an affiliate program.
    Thanks for your help. That's what I wanted to hear!