SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A tough how do I question....

Hello I just purchased an old computer Compaq 200 MHZ and I thought that it had a 3 1/2 drive so I can boot to floppy, but it doesn't. It doesn't have a modem installed either and I was wondering how I can get 6 or so files onto my C: from my floppy so I can boot the computer with the files that I want it to boot up with?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Steven
    Have you ever been ripped off, lied to or cheated? If so, check out
    Baddealings.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try using a serial cable, or if you have one, an external drive (Zip, CD, floppy, etc.). You may just want to go out and buy a floppy drive, though(they're only about $10-15 nowadays).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesnt have a floppy drive? That is strange indeed. Is the hard drive blank?

If the computer doesnt have a floppy or CD drive or a modem/internet connection then the only other way to get files onto it would be to hook the hard drive up to another PC and do a direct hard drive to hard drive copy.

Or you could just install a floppy into it or use the floppy in the PC you are currently using.
    http://www.avgallery.com.au/ - Your ticket to high-end audio!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by qslack
    You could try using a serial cable, or if you have one, an external drive (Zip, CD, floppy, etc.). You may just want to go out and buy a floppy drive, though(they're only about $10-15 nowadays).
    Thanks for your replies guys. Qslack-
    I was wondering how I could try it with a serial cable, as I have a bunch of serial cables just lying around here. And if that doesn't work, then I'll take it to get a 3.5 drive installed. And micmar- no it didn't have a floppy drive installed. Weird huh?
    Have you ever been ripped off, lied to or cheated? If so, check out
    Baddealings.com

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a local computer swap market somewhere nearby on the weekend I'd be suprised if you even have to pay $10 for a floppy disk drive