SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you conquer my ICQ problem?

Tengo un problemo.

I got my new computer today with Win2K. I downloaded ICQ2000b and installed it. I then replaced the files in the /2000b folder with my ones from my old computer with all my contacts. So, next time I start ICQ, I get this message:
    ICQ has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created.
    Has anyone ever encountered this message before? For what it's worth, I replaced the /2000b folder on Win2K with ICQ files from Win98.

And where is that error log that is says is being created?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mjames, did the errors occur when you first installed the program or when you replaced the 2000b directory files? If it happened after you replaced the files I suggest you do a reindex of your database.

To do this just click start > programs > ICQ > ICQ database converter and follow the instructions, its a breeze. Do this with ICQ shut down only. Let us know how you get on.

Micmar
    http://www.avgallery.com.au/ - Your ticket to high-end audio!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by micmar
    Mjames, did the errors occur when you first installed the program or when you replaced the 2000b directory files? If it happened after you replaced the files I suggest you do a reindex of your database.

To do this just click start > programs > ICQ > ICQ database converter and follow the instructions, its a breeze. Do this with ICQ shut down only. Let us know how you get on.

Micmar
    The error occurred directly after I replaced the folder. When I first installed it, it loaded fine, but without my contact list, which was expected.

I tried to run the Database Converter, but it said there were no available databases to convert. There were no options in the drop-down menu to choose from - perhaps because my old files were already also 2000b?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just out of interest, did you move the entire directory including the folder into the new 2000b directory or just the files? The path to the files should look like this...

c:\windows\program files\icq\2000B\your db files.

There were no options in the drop-down menu to choose from - perhaps because my old files were already also 2000b?
    Thats a possibility but I have gone through the same process you are going through now and I could reindex my database even though it was 2000B already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by micmar
    Just out of interest, did you move the entire directory including the folder into the new 2000b directory or just the files? The path to the files should look like this...

c:\windows\program files\icq\2000B\your db files.
    I moved just the files into the 2000b directory. Help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok here is what I would do.

1. Move the 2000B files to a temporary directory.
    2. Uninstall ICQ completely and reboot
    3. Install ICQ2000B but dont run it.
    4. Copy the DB files back into the 2000B directory.
    5. run ICQ. Hopefully it will pick up your contacts etc.

The key is to make sure you dont run ICQ before you copy your DB files over to the 2000B directory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've already pretty much tried that. I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling ICQ, didn't work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually just save the uin folder and replace it with the newly downloaded one, cause it's a different build. Then put the data converting thing in the uin directory.
    Dunno how much it helps in this situation though.
    neil - Geocities, the trailer park of the web
    .<.<.<.<.<.<.<.<
    WEB[retype.net] + [guff.org]
    ICQ[273981] AIM[neiim]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After several attempts of installing, uninstalling, and installing again, I finally got the program to load - but I can't seem to import my contact list. Unlike the first time, I made a backup of the new /2000b folder incase my imported data files with all my contacts didn't work - and they didn't. I get the same error as stated in my original post.

I keep wanting to think I need to do something with the ICQ database converter. Could someone clarify on this? Do I import my data files and run it or do I do it before? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mjames

I keep wanting to think I need to do something with the ICQ database converter. Could someone clarify on this? Do I import my data files and run it or do I do it before? Thanks.
    You would have to import the files first otherwise there is nothing for the converter to convert.

It almost sounds like there is another piece of software conflicting with ICQ causing it to be so unstable. I would try shutting down all non essential services and programs before trying again.

Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried everything, nothing worked. So I decided to do it the old fashioned way and actually write down all the contacts I wanted to put on my new system and then manually re-add each one. Was tedius, but did the trick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was my last suggestion