SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

User "Login" and "password" question??

Hello, and thanks in advance for the assistance. I design rather modest websites for simple situations, mostly what I call "Brochureware". I make a few extra dollars and enjoy the work.

A potential client I met with last night wants me to add a "User Login" system to his website...the user has to be validated and approved by the webmaster, and is then assigned a password and user name to access certain web pages, mostly customer pricelists and things like that.

I have NO CLUE where to start nor how to accomplish this. Obviously, it is a simple thing, but I am in the dark and would like someone to point me in the right direction about how to accomplosh this task.

I appreciate all responses. Thanks very much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a followup, the client also wants each of their "accounts" to be able to log onto their website and see different files that might be relevant to that particular client, and not to another client. The client also wants a 'database' of the retailers they deal with (they are a wholesaler) and wants that database to be searchable by zipcode by the user - how far over my head am I getting here and what is the general concept on how this would be accomplished. Thanks again.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't know anything about server side coding, setting up a database and a secure section of a server, then you drowned already.

My advice is to subcontract to someone who knows what he or she does. Make sure that the following is thought of:

- Security - People trust you with a login and password, make sure nobody sells you a bad solution that is easily hackable
    - Scalability - Even if it is just a few users now, don't rely on a system that cannot deal with more users
    - Ease of Use. A login process sounds dead easy, but in reality is huge. Some things that you normally don't think about: Email notification of password, after security checks, protection against brute force login attempts, Timeout of login.
    Chris Heilmann
    Blog | Articles | Binaries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first time I did a login for a small site, it was a matter of using different directories for each user and editing .htaccess to control access to the directory. Most web hosts have a handy script for securing directories, you don't really need to know the details.

I think that is almost certainly simple enough for you or anyone else to accomplish without substantial programming experience.

However, adding a searchable database and such into the mix really tips it over your head. You might be able to bring something together with existing scripts, but that seems like a complex project for someone who was going into a login situation blind.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?