SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fixing IE's Screw-ups

Okay, so I've finished the real coding for this layout, and now I'm onto fixing the bugs, rendering issues, etc. I've fixed most everything aside from a small issue in FF that I'm pretty confidant I can fix. IE, on the other hand, looks way out of place. I'm only even decently-versed in straight CSS, since this is my first real CSS-based layout. As such, I really don't know anything about the various CSS hacks out there to fix issues with this browser or that, and so I was hoping I could get a bit of help on cleaning up IE.

http://cs.winter-wish.com/

The main issues I need resolved are:
    • 1) The side navbars aren't heeding the margin-top: 4px bit.
      2) The right navbar is way to the right adding a horizontal scroll bar and just generally screwing things up.
      3) That issue in FF I mentioned is here too: the "< Back Home UserCP" bit isn't floating to the right correctly. It should be directly across from the "Currently viewing" part, aligned to the right.

That's about it. I don't want to ask too much, but if you could explain the hacks a bit that'd be cool. Otherwise I'll just stroll around the forum and see what I can pick up.

Thanks in advance.

Winemaster bronze trophy BonRouge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start by removing all the rubbish before the DTD. If there's anything before the DTD, IE goes into quirks mode. Fix that and see what happens - it might fix a few of your problems (although it might also give you more that you weren't aware of).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoops. Yeah, that brings up a few things:
    • Opera: Minor issue with the text in the Categories box on the right navbar.
    • Camino: The left navbar doesn't have a margin between it and the header.
    • IE6: Broken between the "< Back Home UserCP" bit and the #mini_header.

IE5 for Mac is rendering it better than IE6. (Which either means IE isn't getting better or my code isn't up to par. Either way, it makes me sad. :P)