SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your best editor for coding???

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Homesite

6 17.65%
  • Dreamweaver

14 41.18%
  • Other

14 41.18%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WYSIWYG Or HAND CODE IT

Hi,

I currently use HomeSite but just recently have been introduced to Dreamweaver and am wondering how good it realy is!

It seems to have allot incorperated And their are some really cool features that automate allot of everyday stuff. It also seems to intergrate very nicely with fireworks.

Im wondering about how it reacts to code it doesnt know. Such as php, asp and javascript. In my experience all the WYSIWYG editors mash up your code when you view it in design mode.

Does Dreamweaver mess with your code like frontpage?
    http://v-sector.com - Webhosting $7.95
    http://v-resources.com - Free Webmaster Resources
    http://v-redirect.com - Free URL Redirection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver doesn't hurt your code and my experince shows that it makes no changes to PHP code. However I really get annoyed with DW's table handling sometimes when working with more complex designs.
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have said this many times...why not say it again?

I'm a text-coder person. Homesite looks like a nice program, although I haven't used it much. Dreamweaver is my favorite WYSIWYG program. Using them in conjunction is great.

I don't use either of them, though. I use AceHTML, which is similar to Homesite in many ways. I'd probably be using HomeSite if I had the money AceHTML does a fine job at what I want to do. I can't think of any complaints. If you have HomeSite, that's great, though.

Dreamweaver does mess up your code, but not like FrontPage. FrontPage is really bad when you use themes and styles and things like that. Dreamweaver doesn't ever get too bad, but it could be better. It produces the cleanest code though.

I am not sure if there are any WYSIWYG editors that don't "mash up your code".

Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Dreamweaver 4 and I really like it!

When I first got it, I thought it was really confusing. But I eventually got used to it and it works really great for me now. Nocturnal was right about the tables, they can be somewhat of a hassle, but only if you're getting really complicated.

Also, I've never had trouble with coding, but I don't use scripts too often, so I wouldn't know.

And Dreamweaver works great with Fireworks. They were made for eachother! If you're in Dreamweaver and want to modify an image, just right click, say 'Edit With Fireworks", Fireworks opens and you can change your image, then click an "OK" button, and you're back to Dreamweaver with a modified image. It's great!
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of the above are great options...

I mean, I've used DW and Homesite since v1 and have always loved them (except DW1)...

Anyways, my opinion is and will always be "whatever works best for you".

For my 22 cents worth, I use frontpage at work (corporate environment, wanna ***** at me about it I'll justify it) and handcode all other code (mainly because most stuff is DB driven and it's just plain easier).
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, as an upstart web design company, I have not been able to afford DreamWeaver YET! I plan to purchase it. I use FrontPage and GoLive because I have them, although I am pretty much anal about cleaning the code up afterwards. I have not had to do PHP so I haven't given these programs enough time to destroy me, yet. lol.

The way I see it, I can hand code and do hand code some parts, but why should I waste so much time hand-coding when I can save myself MUCHO HORAS by WYSIWYGing it and cleaning the code later.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by studiococo

For my 22 cents worth, I use frontpage at work (corporate environment, wanna ***** at me about it I'll justify it) and handcode all other code (mainly because most stuff is DB driven and it's just plain easier).
    You go, boy! I get sick of defending my use of frontpage too. lol
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I would love to hear some discussin about frontpage. since such discussions often lead to dreamweaver being the best.

I use editplus. nothing else now. frontpage 2000 cd+box is collecting dust in my cabinet. its up for sale if you want.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never liked frontpage, its a code butcher.
    http://www.avgallery.com.au/ - Your ticket to high-end audio!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frontpage is a code butcher indeed, lol yuk

I use Dreamweaver 4 and I use it because you get a instant preview of what you are building. But because I use a lot of PHP in my HTML I am kinda forced to code more with the hand, like Dreamweaver can't put any PHP codes in a Tables Background Color, which I use though =)
    Jeroen Mulder

w: www.jeroenmulder.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use frontpage to create my tables but for the rest of my coding i use FirstPage from http://www.evrsoft.com/

for free software its very suprising how professional it actually is - more professional with your code than frontpage in many ways!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to use Frontpage 98 once - but it started taking over my computer with all its virtual-server crap, so I promptly removed it.

Funny Story;
    When running my own business, I was talking to a potential client about his proposed site. He was insisting I build the site on Frontpage 98 at his offices - in the end he felt my prices were to steep, so I lost the contract.

2 months later I get a phonecall from him. Having just installed Frontpage 2000, it was dialling-up at every given moment and causing havock on his site! - I told him that I was "afraid I couldn't help him" (feeling ever-so smug ) as I didn't use Frontpage.

This has been enough to show me never to go anywhere near Frontpage.
    I have been using Dreamweaver since version 2 - and it rocks! Sometimes I have even produced sites that work cross-browser without having to tweak the code!
    It seems to keep off foreign code as far as I can see.
    I occasionally code stuff by hand, using the code-viewer but have always been a bit of a WYSIWYG Queen...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Dreamweaver a lot and has been mentioned it's kind to your code. The only thing that bugs me is it's CSS editor, that does mess up code.

If you hand code an external style sheet and then use dreamweaver to tweek somthing later it kills your formatiing and seems to insist on putting extra code in for each class

I now use TopStyle for all CSS it is great.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aidan Bahta

Dreamweaver does mess up your code, but not like FrontPage. FrontPage is really bad when you use themes and styles and things like that. Dreamweaver doesn't ever get too bad, but it could be better. It produces the cleanest code though.

I am not sure if there are any WYSIWYG editors that don't "mash up your code".
    Messes up your code how?
    I have never had any code altered - and you can customise the wysiwyg interface so that even in that mode it codes pretty much as you like

The default settings are not perfect, and when you do and redo things it can add little bits of code that aren't neede - but when does it actually mess with code you have written like FP does?

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly @ H, in 2K you can set coding "styles" so that the code comes out pretty much how you'd write it anyways...

What is my personal stance on frontpage? It is PERFECT (yes, read that word) for what it was designed for.

Deep, eh?

What was it designed for? A corporate environment to tie directly into office and provide the flexibility of people not needing to know any html (2 day frontpage course and they are ready to roll) as well as decent site management tool (DW only recently came close).

It is not for beginners. It is not for serious design. It is not to win awards with. It is frontpage.

Thus, anyone who didn't use it in this setting with this understanding has about as much to complain about as someone who puts Jell-O on pizza.

That said, I do not use it by choice but because I work in a corporate environment. However, as I stated above when I do let it write code I tone it's "smartness" (messing up code) down or hand-code the server side stuff anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by studiococo
    ...Jell-O on pizza.
    Mmmmmmmm YUMMY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do like FrontPage. I use it extensively. I clean all my code afterwards, but usually there's not too much to clean. I don't use FP server extensions. I don't use the FP FTP client. I don't use FP bots. I don't use FP themes. My websites are on a Linux server, so I don't use ASP. So I basically do regualr design without using all of Microsoft's attempts at inegration. When I want to do forms, I use Perl scripts, not Microsoft's. When I use databases, I use an SQL backend, not Access. Frontpage does the job for me. One day when I can afford Dreamweaver I'll buy it and probably use it but I am very fluent with Frontpage, so maybe not.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh, a man after my own heart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd sooner learn to hand code in Notepad than use a Microsoft product...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't make me rant about people who hate microsoft just for the sake of it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...not for the sake of it - just because I find all their products (bar IE) totally un-intuative to use...

Maybe it's just me?

A lot of their ideas are good - it's just the execution that bites...

P.S. I been to TO - its a cool city.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TheOriginalH
    Messes up your code how?
    I have never had any code altered - and you can customise the wysiwyg interface so that even in that mode it codes pretty much as you like
    Sorry for choosing the wrong words. I meant to say that it added unnecessary tags (I have seen horrible examples of this).

DW is a lot better about that than anything else, though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completely agree that DW is a thousand times better. However, FP has it's place and does that job well.

Blissed off
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft programs write such bad html that macromedia offers two free extensions entitled "clean up word html" and "cleanup frontpage html"! I tried them and it actually removes a lot of crap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now, don't be making fun of frontpage if you haven't used frontpage '97. no crap code, there!

<--- is a proud FP '97 user.