SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dropped from AdSense, Invalid Clicks

Well bloody hell, I've been building a webgame and had shown it off to people I work with, who have been playing with it. They were probally 95% of the audiance at the point. Google must have detected all the usage on the same IP, and figured I was trying to screw them.

Well that sucks. Anyone have any suggestion about advertisers? I had been hoping to use google to generate the cash to pay the hosting bills.

Lesson to take from this? Block ads from showing up on the IP you log in at.

Anyone have any suggestions for other advertisers? I had just gone with google out of lazyness, and personally I didn't find them to be the most well targeted thing in the world. I was getting nothing but blog and christian ads for the most part. Despit it, not being a blog... and not having anythnig to do with christianity in any way shape or form. I could appeal it, but I can't imagine that I would generate much income on those keywords anyways.

I've seen Azoogle mentioned, how are they? Any other suggestions?

SitePoint Evangelist Chromate222's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google would have only dropped you if your the people you work with had been clicking the ads I would think.

If I were you, I would try SearchFeed as my next base.

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In all seriousness, send Google an e-mail and explain what happened. I actually had something similar happen to me and I e-mailed and was allowed back into the program and they simply ignored the clicks generated from that IP (per my request).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah your right Chromate, I asked around and got the "yeah thought I'd do you a favour"

So it's understandable why google dropped me. You'd think they'd auto disregard the IPs you use to access the site by default, but whatever.

I'll write them Hartmann, thanks for that suggestion, and I'll check out Searchfeed

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Searchfeed just for results of searches? Having a hard time telling, that wouldn't really work with my site.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balur
    Is Searchfeed just for results of searches? Having a hard time telling, that wouldn't really work with my site.
    You can fully simulate AdSense ads with Searchfeed. Just manipulate the output from their dynamic feed creator. Example.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay thank you, was just reading there site, and it didn't give much idea of what they were meant for.

They're a good company?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I see how that works? The search string determines what ads would show up? So I could choose the key words that I feel are relevent to the page (or user) and put them in randomly.

Rather then how it was just letting google scan the page and offer me things like "Somalia Singles Meet Your Perfect Match! and Stay Connected." or "Djibouti Internet Access Traveling to Djibouti? Fast, easy, low cost Dialup & Wifi"

Thanks!

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Searchfeed is a PPC search engine and their affiliate program is mainly designed to be used as such - to put search results on your site (such as mixed in with search results from your site, or with search results from other search engines). However, as you see, with a little creativity you can turn "search results" into effective ads. Yes, you'd have to choose the keywords yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Who needs google?!?! (me)

I too was dropped by google. My culprits? A search ranking tool that hit all my links...external and internal) and a proxy at my school that caused all my students to look like one super-user.

But there is life after google! Since they didn't accept my SINCERE apology, I've since added the free yahoo! search and applied to searchfeed...somehow I doubt it will be the same....sigh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm back IN!!!! I wrote a very, very nice letter to google explaining all the possible ways the invalid clicks could have been made and they finally let me back into the program.

_V_

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm back IN!!!! I wrote a very, very nice letter to google explaining all the possible ways the invalid clicks could have been made and they finally let me back into the program.
    Good for you! Maybe Google is finally starting to be a bit more understanding of the fact that "invalid clicks" isn't always the publisher's fault. I guess with the impending competition from Yahoo and MSN, Google can't afford to throw away publishers anymore.
    -- Jeremy Maddock
    SEOMix.com - Search Engine Optimization Tips
    My Blog - Business, tech, and politics from a webmaster's perspective

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always block the web server/db server IPs, my home IP, my GF's IP, my friends' IPs, and family's IPs for those who know about the site. For new sites, I do not tell anyone about the sites and block it from my home and the web servers and db servers.

First Rule of Webmaster Club
    =========================
    Don't talk about Webmaster Club

Second Rule of Webmaster Club

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is good to hear Vam.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenBauer
    I always block the web server/db server IPs, my home IP, my GF's IP, my friends' IPs, and family's IPs for those who know about the site. For new sites, I do not tell anyone about the sites and block it from my home and the web servers and db servers.

First Rule of Webmaster Club

Second Rule of Webmaster Club
    Block where? Surely you don't mean you don't visit your own sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

started a new thread

I started a new thread for people who have been dropped and got back in this thread. My advice is to be honest, rectify any problems that might be your fault, and try more than just replying to the email informing you of the invalid clicks.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman
    Block where? Surely you don't mean you don't visit your own sites.
    Block the code snippet that places the ad code in my web pages...either block the dynamic code (for auto channel settings and such) or block the include file (if you use that method) from displaying when a "no-no" IP is listed as the web client's IP.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In hindsite I should have done that too. I wrote google, apologizing for the problem, offering to block the IPs that I think may have caused it (Friends, work, family, etc), and asking them for any information that they could give me about the IP that caused it, so I could figure out where the problem came from. My responce was.

mmmm... okay i can't find the email, and I'm too lazy to search.

Anyways, they told me that they couldn't give me any information, and that there algorithim for determining invalid clicks is complex. They also reminded me that publishers who have been banned can never be back.