User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Affiliates finally taking action against Linkshare

An ABestWeb post I found interesting:

"...Enough is enough! I have personally contacted, via email, over 95% of the LinkShare merchant affiliate managers, directing them here to read specific posts about our plight. I did not recommend they change networks but I did strongly recommend that they realize we will not work with merchants if we can't get paid, can't get communication, can't get to our reports and that the merchants need to insure that their selected network is working with us on all aspects of our partnership at every point.

The emails are just starting to come in and I can tell you, these merchants are HOT! Everyone of them has said they have received several complaints from their affiliates about the problems. The affiliate managers and owners are not happy about the way LS has handled this entire thing and their holding back our commissions. There were many gripes from them about communication problems with LS as well, so it's not just us affiliates that were ignored.

For me, this is a very sad period in affiliate marketing. One of the big network players is losing it's footing in the market and even if they are making grand improvements that other networks don't offer, the perception by affiliates and merchants is that they are doing a poor job of running their business. What kind of organization structure does LS have in place? Can LS handle a real crisis if they can't seem to navigate through an upgrade?

Affiliates are leaving...merchants are leaving. Confidence in the LS networks is at an all time low. A sad time indeed."

Check out the ABestWeb thread titled "Enough is Enough" for the full post.

- Dave M.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like CJ and SAS are about to get a boatload of new merchants and affiliates!

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Linkshare.

CJ is good but they have poor support and less big name merchants.

Befree is a joke since the merger.

Performics has a near unusable backend.

Linkshare gives me tons of personal contact, has the merchants I want, has good reporting. I don't mind the lots of checks (though that are offering some consolidation now) and I haven't had many payment issues.

I don't know what people are complaining about, or is it just one very vocal person?
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen
    I like Linkshare.

I don't know what people are complaining about, or is it just one very vocal person?

I am just seeing that Mr Dave has taken the responsibility of telling all Linkshare affiliats to beware of them by posting the same **** in all forums .

Let me ask you Mr Dave, how does this effects you, r u a linkshare affiliate. or a SAS , ask yourself , r u satisified in what you are doing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Linkshare.

CJ is good but they have poor support and less big name merchants.
    Yah, thats the ONE major flaw from CJ. They insist all support for affiliates is done through email, and never over the phone. If they fixed that, then they would be as good as everyone wants them to be.

Note: All CJ reps please take a hint!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the people in the email can be so obtuse.

I have been having this problem with befree where I'm getting 7 copies to 7 email addresses (total 49 copies) of emails merchants send out. It has been so hard to find good support. One guy gave me a canned response on "how to get my site ranked better." I wanted to reach through my monitor and choke him. Not only was it not related to my question, but I could have wrote the book he was reading from when he typed it.

Prior to the merger I could get priority phone and personal email support with my performance partner rep and they'd call me all the time just to see how I was doing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the people in the email can be so obtuse.

I have been having this problem with befree where I'm getting 7 copies to 7 email addresses (total 49 copies) of emails merchants send out. It has been so hard to find good support. One guy gave me a canned response on "how to get my site ranked better." I wanted to reach through my monitor and choke him. Not only was it not related to my question, but I could have wrote the book he was reading from when he typed it.

Prior to the merger I could get priority phone and personal email support with my performance partner rep and they'd call me all the time just to see how I was doing...
    Yeah, I hear ya man! I had some similar problems with their customer support where merchants were charging back on leads that were over a month old, and somehow I got marked off as "incentive traffic" so everyone cancelled out on me briefly. I almost crapped my pants trying to reach their support line. I even called their new HQ, but all I got were responses of "sorry, youll have to email us". It took almost two weeks to resolve everything, whereas with any other network, it would have taken under 24 hours. With that said, even though things are dandy with me and CJ at the moment, I never want to experience a meltdown like that again, so I'm switching networks, and those that provide me with direct contact from an affiliate manager, whether it be by phone or AIM, they will get my business. It's CJ's only flaw, but a major one at that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so i went to abestweb and read the full thread that this guy is copying from. Apparently linkshare is behind on some payments. And they keep saying how everything is going downhill so fast, that all the big merchants are leaving (the only one i saw mentioned was Buy.com). And when someone says what's so bad about linkshare besides they're a little late with your check, they get flamed for being a newbie.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Linkshare had a major systems / software upgrade not too long ago, as far as I know. Things supposedly didn't go as smoothly as planned. I know I had a bit of trouble with it... with the new registration / re-registration process (or whatever that was) Linkshare changed my 'payable to' name to my personal name instead of my company name (as it has been for a long time with them) and there is no option for me to switch it back to my company name. Not really a big problem for me, but I would prefer that they write checks to my company name. Maybe that is part of the reason they are behind on sending out the checks... they may be checking to make sure that their new system change did not cause the checks to be made in the wrong names, who knows.

In any case, I think Linkshare just had a bit of trouble with the upgrade to the new system. No big deal. After Linkshare straightens out any problems I'm sure it will be back to business as usual with them.

One thing I did notice, reports are so much faster now after their upgrade. Anyhow...
    For HTML Help visit: HTML Help Central
    For Graphic Design help visit: GFXVoid.com
    If you're a GEEK then go where geeks go....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is this whole re-registration thing? I keep getting notices about it and I have no idea what they're talking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used linkshare quite a few years back, but getting $1 or $2 checks kinda killed the point, even if it was amusing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't even been able to re-register, since it keeps giving me an error that it can't verify my legal name. I've tried different spellings, different names they MAY have on record, etc. but no luck. When I contacted a rep from the company about 3 weeks ago about it he said to try again later when things were fixed up. I still can't get it to recognize me.

I sold some sites to someone the other day and he had to go through the same re-registration process so I could get his Linkshare codes. It gave him the same error.

Grrr...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is this whole re-registration thing? I keep getting notices about it and I have no idea what they're talking about.
    I don't know if LS is still doing this, maybe not until they get it working completely right, but when I logged in immediately after getting the re-registration email from LS the re-registration page came up right away. Basically you go through all your account details to confirm that everything is correct. If I'm remembering correctly, LS has some kind of ID verification process integrated into the re-registration system that checks to make sure you are who you say you are and/or that your business name is a verified legal name - probably checked against the address you give also. I suppose LS had some trouble with people making fraudulent accounts and now they're trying to verify who they do business with. I read somewhere that LS may be holding checks for accounts that do not re-register/verify their account info via the new system (not sure how correct that is).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I tried to log in a few weeks back I had to submit some more info and change my password. I think this is the re-registration they are talking about.

However, I keep getting this email too and it is making me paranoid.
    I run an insurance company directory at InsuranceCompanies.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't recall logging in and seeing that, ever, and I login about daily... maybe I did see it and forgot about it though.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how does one go about reregistering? Just apply for linkshare again? And then consolidate the old account with the new one?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it came up automatically after I logged into LS. My guess is that LS took down the verification/reregistration process in order to fix any problems with it. I'm not sure, but maybe you don't need to worry about it until it comes up automatically again. When I logged in it didn't give me any choice but to complete that process.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is part of an email I received from LS on May 20th:
    As you know from prior emails, LinkShare is in the process of launching our new affiliate registration system.

You are receiving this email because your LinkShare affiliate account has not yet been validated.

If you have not logged in recently to your account you should to so now to access the new registration form. We need updated information in order to process payments through our new consolidated payment service.
    It was that same day that I logged in and validated my account info. It came up automatically. And this isn't a new registration, I've been a LS affiliate for 5+ years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone received payment from LinkShare recently? I haven't received payment in like 2 months.
    The Online Guide

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the person who started this thread , where is he??? lol

Well, Online Guide , I am not promoting LS right now but if you check this chec recieved thread, someone has posted his reciept of payment from linkshare

dingerxu :
    Ad network: LINKSHARE
    Check for: 8/02/2004
    Received : 5/08/2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john2k
    Linkshare had a major systems / software upgrade not too long ago, as far as I know. Things supposedly didn't go as smoothly as planned. I know I had a bit of trouble with it... with the new registration / re-registration process (or whatever that was) Linkshare changed my 'payable to' name to my personal name instead of my company name (as it has been for a long time with them) and there is no option for me to switch it back to my company name. Not really a big problem for me, but I would prefer that they write checks to my company name. Maybe that is part of the reason they are behind on sending out the checks... they may be checking to make sure that their new system change did not cause the checks to be made in the wrong names, who knows.

In any case, I think Linkshare just had a bit of trouble with the upgrade to the new system. No big deal. After Linkshare straightens out any problems I'm sure it will be back to business as usual with them.

One thing I did notice, reports are so much faster now after their upgrade. Anyhow...
    I'd take problems like that over CJ's crappy affiliate support anyday. But even so, LS' upgrade was much needed, and while they may be a bit behind in the accounting department, the money is there, it just needs to be distributed, that's all. It's better to take slow and working than fast and no support.. It is for me at least.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lost my linkshare password (it happens ), ok so I email linkshare to ask them to resend or reissue a password. Even though i was very clear i wasnt able to retrieve my password through their password retrieval system, i get back emails saying to keep trying the system. I cant believe they cant do something as simple as issuing me a new password, its like some of these ad brokerages/agencies have a bunch of monkies working the affiliate relations end. Seriously Im hard pressed to believe these guys even know what the value of an innovative affiliate actually is. I can't blame them too much I'd be rancorous too if I had to work with kids that are probably making more money from their bedroom than I am working a 9 to 5.
    I actually have started getting phone calls from new affiliate program managers and can see the difference between tier1 and tier3 advertising brokerages. I signed a non disclosure agreement so I can't really say who they are but they work with Overture and I can tell you there are people out there that are willing to give you that quality of care you deserve. The thing is we all have to be vigilant when looking for business relationships and not give in to subpar, low tier ad agencies. We deserve atleast 60% of the share and friendly helpful support I wouldnt stand for anything less.
    atomi
    Links? I don't need no stinkin' links.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackdog
    And when someone says what's so bad about linkshare besides they're a little late with your check, they get flamed for being a newbie.
    Linkshare has had an awful rep on ABestWeb and other affiliate marketing forums for over a year. Not saying people should get flamed, but this is not a new issue, nor is it just some crazy individual trying to stir stuff up.

No need for people to defend LinkShare here; they are notorious among the AM community, and not respected by most AM vets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Linkshare has been fine for me, a little slow on payments but has great merchants.
    Find something better than Adsense? I did

Cellions - The Latest Cell Phone News and Information.
    Tech Deals - Fresh tech deals updated daily