SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will google index link at end of very code-heavy tons of links.

Quite a while back I asked about google following js links and learned that google will not follow links that are generated by js.

So we made the correction and now again we seem not to be getting some of our pages registered in google, at all.

I'm wondering the following:
    • Is there's a limit to how far down the page google will go to index every link?
    • If it goes forever, still, will the page get a lower listing with google if its at the bottom of a menu that contains say 100 items in the left collum of a layout table.
    • Does the amount of code effect this? Lets say each link is generated with code like this:
    Code:
    <div id="submenu17" style="position:absolute; left:207px;top:1037px;width:200px; z-index:2; visibility: hidden"><table bgcolor="#ffffff" onMouseOver="showMenu('submenu17',207)" onMouseOut="hideMenu('submenu17')" width="210" class="specialsTable" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" bordercolor="#6699CC"><tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" valign="middle" height="24"><li Class="menuLink" onMouseOver="this.className='menuLinkOver'" onMouseOut="this.className='menuLink'"><a Class="menuLink" onMouseOver="this.className='menuLinkOver'" onMouseOut="this.className='menuLink'" href="bookList.asp?catId=49&subCat=86">Purim</a></li></td></tr>
    Thanks in advance for your help. I really have a lot of fond memories of this place from when I was quite active about 3 years ago.

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Word is that Google indexes up to 100kb of a page.

You could greatly shorten that code by using an external CSS file, or even CSS in your header, and assigning class names to your elements.

Having 100 links on a page (or more) dilutes the effectiveness of each link. It's not really that ones near the top get more ranking than those at the bottom, but that they're all diluted by the number of links.

If you have PR5, and have one link, you can pass (almost) the whole thing onto the page you're linking to. If you have 10 links, you're passing less than 0.5 to each one. If you have 100 links, well, you get the picture.

If you're worried about optimizing those links, you might want to revise your navigation structure.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would be an interesting thing to test. Create a page with 100,000 links on it on the homepage of a pr 4 or higher website. Take note after a month of how many of these links get indexed. And, then take note if the links on the top get more search engine traffic than the links on the bottom. Anyone want to try that?
    nondenominational, noncommercial, nonprofit,
    listener-supported, 24-hour, Christian ministry:
    Listen Live Online

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to report back, I monitored google for over a week and found that the page containging the link did finally get indexed and then a few days later the page that the link led to was indexed.

Maybe it was just the timing of my page updates with the google bot schedule that caused it to take longer than usual.

I realize that the pr problem is related to less than optimal navigation structure. My question was about getting indexed at all by google and it seems that the question was just a bit pre-mature.

Thanks for your help.