SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ebay and AdWords = Special Treatment

You and I and every other regular joe has to sustain a click thru rate on your AdWords or Google will remove the ads. This is to ensure that our ads are relevent to the search terms and therefore beneficial to the customer (searcher).

Has anyone ever noticed that Ebay runs totally irrelevent ads all the time in AdWords? Is it because they are a 900lb gorilla that Google lets them get away with this bs? Never seen it? Search for "seagull" or "albatros" or "ping pong" or even "silly." Silly yeilds the following ebay ad:

Silly
    Everything to do with
    Silly.
    eBay.com

No come on, do you expect me to believe they're getting a decent clickthru rate on that? These are obviously programmed ads

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I believe they receive special treatment ...

But you are probably thinking of the wrong reason, it's not that they are a 900lb gorilla, but they probably have Premium Adsense (service available if your site receives 5 million+ search queries or 20 million+ content page views a month) and google certainly gains more with this type of client.

On a side note, they are now providing urchin web stats for $199, by giving website owners the data to more effectively communicate their content and improve the web experience for everyone, don't you think they want you to succeed on your "20 million+ page views a month" quest and apply for that Premium Adsense?
    Your success is their success at that point!

Just my point of view
    ~ Daniel Macedo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked them about Premium Adsense, never received any answer or interest from them so I cut my # of impressions by 90%. Plus, the rates just fluctuate to much. In terms of eBay and Google, they spend millions a month. That could be the reason as to why they receive special incentives when doing business with eachother. Welcome to corporate America.
    The Online Guide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Online Guide,

That could also be because of the type of site you applied

Nevertheless, I am sure you are correct about corporate america ...
    ~ Daniel Macedo

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMacedo
    Yes, I believe they receive special treatment ...

But you are probably thinking of the wrong reason, it's not that they are a 900lb gorilla, but they probably have Premium Adsense (service available if your site receives 5 million+ search queries or 20 million+ content page views a month) and google certainly gains more with this type of client.
    They are running adwords not adsense but yes they do receive special treatment.

I'm sure if you spent millions a year Nebulous you would get special treatment too

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea they do..

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Michael+Lewis

They bought keywords for my name !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

... I don't know why I made that confusion, probably because it was 6am here , but the same rule applies.

What counts is the profit google gets from the advertisement investment (either directly from you by adwords or indirectly by adsense)
    ~ Daniel Macedo

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always assumed those were individual people promoting their Ebay affiliate links with adwords.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joflow
    I always assumed those were individual people promoting their Ebay affiliate links with adwords.
    I don't know if eBay actually advertises with Google at all. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMike
    Yea they do..

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Michael+Lewis

They bought keywords for my name !
    Actually, an affiliate bought keywords for your name. The ad points to a Commission Junction link.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those silly ads and most unrelated ads like that are run by ebay affiliates. I read on Revenue magazine that those kind of ads are one of the best ways of promoting ebay for their affiliates.

It mentioned that some of them made around $100,000 per month using that method. Of course you have to spend a lot in adwords to make that amount.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe Ebay and Google are both headquarted close to each other in the Silicon Valley. Perhaps they do have a special arangement. There's nothing wrong or sinister about that. I'm sure Google would make an arrangement with anyone or entity with an idea or relationship that made sense for the two of them.

Ebay does not have a good freely available product datafeed like Amazon. Therefore, their products do not show up as much in the natural serps like Amazon aws affiliate websites do.
    nondenominational, noncommercial, nonprofit,
    listener-supported, 24-hour, Christian ministry:
    Listen Live Online

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eBay could be buying leftover traffic from Google... Google puts eBay's ads on every page that they can't sell ads on and gives eBay a discount. Makes sense to me.

Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eBay and Amazon each spend a minimum of $1 Million per WEEK on Google alone. When you start spending that much in pay per click ads each week, you'll also demand a certain level favored treatment from a network.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am pretty sure its ebay directly, i do know for a fact that ebay utilizes cj for tracking their campgains across different networks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman
    I don't know if eBay actually advertises with Google at all. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

Actually, an affiliate bought keywords for your name. The ad points to a Commission Junction link.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the Google ad goes to eBay's home page, the ad is most likely from eBay. If the Google ad goes to an auction page with BIN links, it's most likely an eBay affiliate using Adwords.