SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Contacted by a company about advertising.

Hello,

I own a website dedicated to a collectible card game. Recently, I was contacted by a company representing the maker of the card game regarding advertising. In the email, they said that they would "like to discuss an opportunity to do a small buy on your site for our client [Game Company]". After I responded asking for details, they said that they have a budget for a short promotion and then said:

"Please send me proposals to include 728x90 and 468x60 standard flash
    space for [My Site] at a $1-$2K budget level (budget is to cover the
    entire 2 week period).

I will need a proposal by EOD Friday 5/24.
    "

I'm not very experienced with this sort of thing and hence I don't entirely understand what this person is asking of me. Please help me make sense of this offer and advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like they're looking for what they can get for those two flash banner sizes on your site over a 2 wk period for 1K - 2K ... And he/she want's to know an anwser by the End of friday...(sorry you prob figured that one out)

Depending on how they want to go about advertising gernerally I've dealt with larger companies advertising per impression...but that can require some further setup then your site may be set to do...What may be easier is to offer them just TIME slots for X number of dollars so depending on your traffic and what you feel is fair for the exposure they'll recieve charge them say 1000 / wk or 500 a wk...I don't know your stats...

Of course unless your a designer ensure that they supply the banners. etc.

Very exciting Good luck with the oppurtunity!
    What accessories can you get for your iPod? Find out!

iPod Accessories

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck for 2k I would give them both slots for 2 weeks with 728x90 and the top and 468x60 near the bottom!

Seriously though, you will want to include placement in the proposal, more for the top, less for the bottom.

The only problem is the 24th was yesterday! Is it Friday or the 24th?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they mean the 27th. (I received the email today.)

1-2K seems like an incredibly large amount of money to me, considering my site is really not huge. I get about 700 or so unique visitors a day and the forums have about 800+ or so members. Do they mean that their budget is for my site alone?

My website is pretty traditionally layed-out. It has an imaged header(730x140) with a 468x60 google adsense ad embedded(positioned to the bottom-left of the header), a left navigation bar, a main content area, and a footer. I suppose I could place a 728x90 right below the header, or perhaps above the header(or just above the footer) if that would be prudent. I could also temporarily replace the google adsense ad with a 468x60. What would you guys propose if you were in my situation?

Thanks

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the sounds of it they want to spend the 1-2k on your site...at least it seems that way. Sounds like a great deal on your end to say the least. Maybe they feel that they can get a really good return from your site...are you currently running any affiliate programs?

fad (n): a craze; interest... Fahd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

If your site is not all that large, give them both ad spots for the 2 week period they want for $1500 and also throw in the fact that they can have an additional 2 weeks for just another $500. My reasoning: they've already decided to advertise on your site and they have already budgeted 1-2K for your site for the 2 week period. The way I'm suggesting you pitch the offer, it'll seem too good for them to pass up. If you need more hand holding, I'll need more details, such as site in question, etc.

PS: You did say 2K seems like a lot, right?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the sounds of it they want to spend the 1-2k on your site...at least it seems that way. Sounds like a great deal on your end to say the least. Maybe they feel that they can get a really good return from your site...
    I guess so. My site does come up as #1 or #2 on the major search engines for the game's name, but the money still seems like a lot.

are you currently running any affiliate programs?
    I have google adsense.

PS: You did say 2K seems like a lot, right?
    Yeah.

I just sent them a response proposing what Fahd suggested. Hopefully it works out.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recieved an email back saring "This sounds great."

Also, I just wanted to doublecheck to avoid making a fool of myself, the person asked me how many impressions I would be able to "serve each placement during the entire flight". Is this referring to how many hits the page with the two ads can get during the 2-week period?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe he is asking you how many hits you get per day. In other words, how many times his banners will be viewed. I'd wait for confirmation from another member though.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's sort of what I was thinking as well. Can anyone confirm this?

fad (n): a craze; interest... Fahd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He wants to know how many impressions his ads will serve over the full 2/4 weeks. Just give him an estimate, though he may change his mind if the impressions seem too low to him for the money.

Ex say: Top and bottom banners will be served a whopping X million impressions each during the 2 week period.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxS
    I believe he is asking you how many hits you get per day. In other words, how many times his banners will be viewed. I'd wait for confirmation from another member though.
    That's pageviews though, not hits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paladin
    That's pageviews though, not hits.
    well a lot of people don't use the term hits correctly... so he says hits, but maybe he means pageviews. after all, why should he care how many hits the site gets?

Massimiliano Bruno Giordano sid egg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When refering to hits in this sense, it would mean non-unique page views, because there is no monitary value to the advertiser for a hit on style.css, or header.gif or hello.jpg

Sorry 'bout the Goat Who Can See reference, I just had to do it.
    GamesLib.com - the slickest, most complete and
    easily navigatible flash games site on the web.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet he means "hits received by his banners". If you are showing it on every page, page views will be a good estimate. If you are showing two on every page, plus times two. If you are not showing on every page, just make a estimation based on page views. I don't think he means hits of the website at all.

I don't think anyone wants to know a site's hits for any reason.
    UploadPro.org - Version 2 launched.