User Tag List

Thread: Server Location

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Server Location

I was wondering if someone could tell me how the SE determine where your site is located. Is the IP of your server taken into account?
    If you had a .com on a US server, but your site was Australian, does this effect where the SE thinks your site is based. If you had content stating you are located in Australia, will you still show up in a local search in google etc?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the search engines, etc. can get a pretty good idea of your stats.

Your signature site is being hosted in the US according to Netcraft information.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermit
    Yes, the search engines, etc. can get a pretty good idea of your stats.

Your signature site is being hosted in the US according to Netcraft information.
    While its possible to detect the server location Im not sure how much this actually effects the ranking. I have several .com.au domain names that are hosted in the US that still get good listings on a local (Australian) search. Its also interesting to note that you usually get a few .com results (with no content reference to Australia at all) when you run a query on Australian sites.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think a .com.au would matters much being hosted on a non AU server.

I had been told that if you had an Australian site, hosted on a US server, using a .com it would not show up if someone did an AU specific search, say through google. Not searching for keyword+australia, but using google.com.au.

Shredman, yes, I too have noticed that. You would not thing someone in the US would be hosting here, hardly cost effective.