SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

php and cell phones

I need to have a phpapplication (phpauction) set up so it can run/display on a cell phone. Is this possible (easily) - or are we talking different languages of sorts.

I have really no idea about web browsers on cell phones - perhaps someone who knows could fill me in (also would be looking to hire someone to do this sort of thing for me if it is possible).

Thanks in advance,
    Oznob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well you could design your site to be cell-phone browser compliant by having a light version of your site showed when you recognize a browser to be from a cell phone instead of the regular interface.

How do you recognize a cell-phone browser, you can use the $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'] data to help you (there may be other ways, I'm no expert in cell-phone browsers)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so is it something that is easy to do ?

i.e. if I can make and design the script on a regualar browser to do what I want - how much work is envolved in making a light version for the cell phones ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    basically it's a complete redesign of your webpage to support cell-phone browsing (hence making a light version of it)

I can't tell how your website pages are organized, but it will take some effort to do it (especially if it wasn't designed to be modified into multiple output formats)

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

You need to build wap compatible website, It must be basic as obviously you cant display a full fledged website on a mobile screen.

Here is a tutorial to get you started:

http://www.w3schools.com/wap/default.asp

HTH