SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy A big lump of questions

Hi, this is my first real post here, so I hope it is in the right spot...

The small non profit I work for is currently in a dismal place as far as the website goes. We have NO technology people on staff. We have a Communications Manager who basically just manages the content on a relatively static webpage. Now enter in me, a history major, who has a vauge knowledge of how this all works, but have a better grasp of it than anyone else.

I want to move us to dreamhost so that we can have more storage and can build a dynamic, database driven website with forums, e-commerce, online registration and all the bells and whistles. We have a few ASP pages that need to be changed to PHP. Once we switch these and get on the new servers, what is the best way to do basic ecommerce, PayPal? What if we want the data that is captured by Paypal to kick back into our database, does anyone know how to do that or is there a way to do this with some scripting?

Finally, anyone know anything about Blackbaud can we intergrate a PHP site with its functionality?

Whew, that's a lot of stuff!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Paypal. Some people don't. You can go a step further and get a SSL cert so you can to credit card transactions.

Paypal does have a system, IPN(Instant Payment Notification) that will interact with your db. They have ready made scripts for numerous languages on the Paypal website.