SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: ASP Books

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ASP Books

I have some simple asp work coming up in the near future and was wondering if anyone had some recomendations on books. I'm a bit of a newbie to ASP. I've done a bit with vb.net and asp.net using vb.net but I havent really used classic asp. If you guys could reccomend an into to asp book and a asp to asp.net conversion book I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Smart programmer silver trophy M.Zeb Khan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For basics, I'd suggest www.w3schools.com
    And a good book will be "Sams Teach Yourself Active Server Pages in 21 Days"

I used that book, and I recommend it

SitePoint Enthusiast hombre_de_las_ca's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, i found begining active server pages 3.0 cool... proffesional active server pages was even more helpful!
    Don't ask what your Country can do for you,
    Ask what you can do for your Country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. The beginning ASP 3.0 book had tons of good reviews at Amazon so I ordered a copy. I think it will get me through the basics.

Original Gangster silver trophy Thing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Active Server Pages in Plain English

This is a reference manual, but my favorite overall:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Afrika
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by hombre_de_las_ca

well, i found begining active server pages 3.0 cool... proffesional active server pages was even more helpful!
    I found this book by WROX publication an excellent resource, and still make reference to it. Both with

Originally posted by M.Zeb Khan

And a good book will be "Sams Teach Yourself Active Server Pages in 21 Days"
    are rated 4 1/2 stars on amazon

wrox publication is from a professionals point of view. Which should be difficult for you, having worked with .net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recommended books and tips

I was in the same situation as you a few months ago...

Follow these steps in order
    Assuming you already know how to handcode HTML

- Read all beginners tutorials you can find on the web. stick with basic Active Server Pages, don't go into ASP.NET yet, learn the basics first.
    - Install PWS, IIS 4 or 5, these can be found on your win 98 CD, win NT or Windows 2000 Pro
    - Get started with the book "ASP from scratch" contrary to other books that focuses on VB Script and declaration variables endless theories, this book will get your started writing your own application immediately, real life examples you can apply to your own site, it comes with a CD, errata can be found on the author's website. Another recommended book is ASP for beginners, it's priced at 15$ and is used by many teachers in colleges.
    - Follow with the "bible" Active Server Pages 3.0 from Wrox Publishing, You **MUST** get it.
    - Practice with Access Database before SQL (or MySQL)

If you already learned some Visual Basic, VB Script or C++, ASP will be easy for you

Notes: You don't really need a SQL language or ADO tutorial book, every thing you need to run a basic database website using SQL statements and ADO are discussed in all ASP books.

I also bought these books

- Active server Pages 3.0 from Visual
    not enough to get your started, too much theory
    - ASP Cookbook by Jean-Christophe Racicot
    Basic ASP bible written in French, 8 real-life projects you can do on the spot and apply to your own site, all source code supplied (on the website). Highly recommended for anyone who speaks French
    - Sam Teach Yourself Active Server Pages 3.0 in 21 days.
    Too much theory, no cd, just 3 projects (not very useful ones in my case)
    - Learn SQL in 10 Minutes
    Everything you need to know about SQL right away, It's my SQL reference book, recommended if you want to know more about SQL statements

You don't have to jump into ASP.Net to run a successful and powerful website

I tried PHP before by first downloading the free open source stuff, I got discouraged installing them, I couldn't get them to "run" successfully, it turned out I had everything already at my disposal to learn and use ASP, didn't have to buy anything else from "Bill G", so I'm here to attest it won't cost you more to work with ASP instead of PHP.

Once you're at ease with ASP then get ASP.NET from Sitepoint, you can download for free sample chapters, I DID and recommend it for anyone migrating from ASP to ASP.NET

Everything you need to run ASP.NET including...

free asp.net downloads
    http://www.asp.net/download-1.1.aspx

and starter kits
    http://www.asp.net/Default.aspx?tabindex=8&tabid=47

ALL FREE GIFTS FROM BILL!!!

ASPRookie
    from Quebec Canada

PWS, IIS 4 or 5, from your win 98 CD, win NT or Windows 2000 Pro comes with tutorials, applications, glossary, enough stuff to be a book by itself, I have the Win NT service pack and contrary to what it's called (online documentation) it's not online at Microsoft, it's on your computer.
    Last edited by asprookie; May 29, 2005 at 23:46. Reason: I forgot the most important thing

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the same position as Phil above, and need to quickly get to terms with a few things in ASP. Unfort l can't find any of the books mentioned locally

Anyone in Oz got a source for them, hotline seems to be solely asp.net at the moment as their site is not listing any asp books at all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ASP Books

You are absolutely correct about bookstores, they only stock ASP.NET books, also went through what you went through just 3 months ago even if we're miles and miles apart.

Any computer bookstores (bookstores that only sell computer books, they are often located around colleges and/universities)) should have these priced at the most, the suggested price or as low as 2 bucks too since most of them came out around 1999-2001.

That's what I did, I went to a computer books store I grabbed everything on ASP 3.0 (Active Server Pages 3.0) and ordered the rest at Amazon.com, I reside in Canada, books can be shipped worldwide, but Amazon.com can't ship software and electronics out of the US.

Hope this helps,

ASPRookie

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the headsup on Amazon, see a couple of books to grab from there