SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading Object or Variable values throughout the flow of a program

I have a question that may be elementry to some. I just can't seem to be able to figure it out without some complex solution. I want to be able to create an instance of an object, lets say a user profile object. In one page (a php file) I want to be able to set some properties in this object. Now, if I were to switch to another page via hyperlink or form submit, I want to be able to read the property values of the object that I set from the other page. How can I do this without first serializing this data and saving it off somewhere and reloading it with each page?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You cant access the same data in the class on another page without "saving" it somewhere. Maybe you could have your data in some hidden form fields and read them into the class on the forms target page?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stick the object in the session

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re design the PHP engine

OK, That is what I was thinking. Even saving the object properties in the session would require serializing the data and always making a consious effort to store and retrieve it. PHP and WEB programming in general would be 100 times better if this simple functionality were available, like in regular programming languages.

Thanks for listening to me vent a little

John

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last reply is a reasult of my frustration with web programming. I spend only 20% of my time writing an application and about 80% figuring out how I am going to save, store, or transfer information between pages. This is a huge waste of time.

John