SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dropdowns not sitting in div

I used the suckerfish example to create a list of dropdowns off of a horizontal menu. I want to the main menu to sit inside of a box. However, this seems very difficult. It works in IE but not in FF. I couldnt figure out for the life of me what the problem was until just a few minutes ago.
    It seems what they do is they hide the nested lists to the left of the screen and then display them on the hover action. I'm guessing then, that FF won't put the list of links in the containing box because the nested list elements will not fit so it just ignores the fact that it is in the box to begin with (or something to that effect). The only way i could figure out how to get the list in the box was to simply put a "spacer" in the box that would hold the space for the list. This works fine, however in IE i then have a whole lot of extra padding and it looks dumb.
    Does anyone have any good suggestions of how i can remedy this? Like maybe something i can put in that FF understands but IE doesnt.. I also can't center the list which is quite annoying..
    thanks in advance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jeez sorry.. right after submitting i realized i could set a min height for the div.. i'm not sure if it will work in netscape though..

CSS & JS/DOM Adept bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which versions of Netscape?

Please show us your code.

The Suckerfish Menus that I've seen use display:none on the submenus, so they aren't positioned off screen.
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Learn CSS. | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.