SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any luck with WinDoZE e(XP)ired??

Hey ... anyone of you had any luck with Windows XP beta?

Is it true that major modification and hardware upgradations will leave your copy of Windoze e(XP)ired useless?

Would it put an end to Windows? I mean wouldn't it be annoying for the users?
    TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion.
    Interact and Share your Views with People around the Globe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DriveSeeker,

As far as Im aware (having seen the beta in action) this is not true, I think this is only if major parts are different all in one go, not if you replace bits.

I suppose this is to stop people using the one copy on several machines - but all it is is a call for an activation code, personally, I dunno how many bits changed will afect it.

Best option is to wait til release when the final product is on the shelfs in shops

then we'll know fully, and not all the scaremongering going on by Mac and Linux freaks*

*this does not mean rational, nice people that use macs / linux, just the freaks that bash MS/PC's at any chance they get
    Current Projects:
    Brighton Rockz - The only Albion Fanzine

Always Skint - THE forums for BHAFC fans

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had the beta for a couple of months now. I don't think it is worth upgrading if you run Windows 2000 (it is basically a fancy version of win2k) but 9x users should enjoy the improvements (stability, features, etc).

An upgrade does not make your version of Windows useless. Whoever told that to you was probably an anti-MS person who was exadurating quite a bit.

This is an effort by Microsoft to eliminate copying of the program. It isn't working - there are already ways you can break into their system.

If you upgrade certain components, you must re-activate Windows. This includes times when you format. I believe there is a certain limit to the number of times you can request a new activation code (around 10 I think) before you need to buy another copy.

I am not upgrading to XP. Windows 2000 and Linux suits me well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree, Windows XP for Win2k users might be worth upgrading to in a year or so after release, but for those using 95, 98, 98SE or Me - IT is worth upgrading too, 98 and Me were ok, but not brilliant - but XP will be much more stable

they'll be released as

XP Proffessional
    XP Home

or something similar

The server editions are due to be called Windows 2002
    Current Projects:
    Brighton Rockz - The only Albion Fanzine

Always Skint - THE forums for BHAFC fans

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Any luck with WinDoZE e(XP)ired??

Originally posted by DriveSeeker
    Hey ... anyone of you had any luck with Windows XP beta?

Is it true that major modification and hardware upgradations will leave your copy of Windoze e(XP)ired useless?

Would it put an end to Windows? I mean wouldn't it be annoying for the users?
    It sure wouldn't put an end to Windows: MicroSoft is almost forcing retailers to ship PCs with Windows XP installed by default, and reward retailers that denounce any customer who buys a non-windows PC. So there, with such efficient aggressive commercial "technics", you won't see Windows dying soon.
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Re: Any luck with WinDoZE e(XP)ired??

Originally posted by Shin Ma
    MicroSoft is almost forcing retailers to ship PCs with Windows XP installed by default
    I don't think any major computer retailers like Dell will only sell XP, I believe they will always give you choice: ME, XP, or 2K.