SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding a domain name, how not to loose PR?

I have a .com site and as its Australian based I want to change it to .com.au. Ill be keeping the old .com address as well and redirecting the .com to the .com.au domain. Ill do this via the name registrars control panel, no 301 or javascript, is this the best way to redirect?
    My main question is will the site loose its google PR because the name has changed or will it be passed over to the .com.au? If I loose it maybe Im best to make the new address the one that redirects to the old one..??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe (i.e. have no idea) that a 301 is your best choice in terms of SEO. If you just replace the site, Google will see it as two separate sites.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jon is correct. JS/Meta/302's are to be avoided, but 301 is the best solution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhois
    Jon is correct.
    That's what happens when I regurgitate your words.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So redirecting via a name registrar is a no no??
    I was hoping to do it this way to save myself a hosting slot. And the fact that .com.au address would rate higher for searches in Australia, is that correct?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chargin8
    So redirecting via a name registrar is a no no??
    I was hoping to do it this way to save myself a hosting slot. And the fact that .com.au address would rate higher for searches in Australia, is that correct?
    I believe 301 is done via htaccess and mod_rewrite. (Gurus, correct me if I am wrong :P)

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockt
    I believe 301 is done via htaccess and mod_rewrite. (Gurus, correct me if I am wrong :P)
    301 redirects are just a different response code. Normally you have a 200 status. Sending a 301 just means that the client (browser, se, anything) receives the 301 code instead of 200, and then has a "Location: <url>" field as well.

That means you can send it via any server side language, including PHP/Perl/Ruby/C/etc.. Likewise, you can do it via mod_rewrite, or even going straight into the Apache config files.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .com will rank just as highly as a .com.au for Australian search requests as long as it is hosted on an Australian server.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billiousness
    .com will rank just as highly as a .com.au for Australian search requests as long as it is hosted on an Australian server.
    Are you absolutely 100% on that??? I asked a question here a while ago about geagraphically selected search results and many said hosting location has nothing to do with it. However noone came up with a good answer about how google indexes by country... I think the registrar of the name on a whois lookup has something to do with it myself.

This site isnt hosted in Aus, too expensive, I have all my sites in the USA.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep very sure. In 99.9% of cases when you do an Australian result search at Google the results listed will include only sites that end in .au and sites that are hosted in Australia as determined by IP.

See, I just searched Google Australia for rove:
    http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...cr%3DcountryAU

Look at the 4th result is for rovelive.com

Now look at the DNS http://whois.sc/rovelive.com it shows that it is hosted here in Brisbane at WebCentral's DC.

Same with a Google search for web hosting:
    http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...cr%3DcountryAU

Look at the 10th result for ozhosting.com

Now look at the DNS http://whois.sc/ozhosting.com it shows that it is hosted in Melbourne.

Regarding price I personally think Aussie hosting prices are affordable when you consider the benefits. Depends really if you are chasing the AU audience and how much it is worth to you to rank highly on Australian search results.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. So do you think having a .com.au address hosted overseas would rank the same as a .com.au hosted in Aus, all other things being equal? I mean is it just the .coms hosted here that get the boost by having their hosting local.
    Perhaps I should look into some local hosting for sites that need good rankings in Aus. I dont know if I could find a deal like I currently have though.... 20 domains for $17 USD per month, 100meg 1gig transfer per domain and the pages load as fast as any local host.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I've seen there isn't an extra boost. Google just uses the .au ending domain and AU based IP to detmine what domains to include in their Australian index and then uses their algo to rank the sites.