SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone Want to Give Advice on My Ad Rates?

Hello all,

I sell banner ad space on my website directly to advertisers. (I only take on advertisers who are related to the topic of my website.)

After about a year at these prices, I feel like perhaps I charge too little based on what I see other people charging. I'm not selling 100% of my inventory but I am selling about 50% which is nice. But my website is a forum, so I realize that "impressions" are worth less than usual.

Does anyone want to check out my ad rate info and tell me what they think?

I'm putting spaces in the URL because I don't want the page to get sucked into a search engine.

http:// www. craftster. org/ adinfo/ advertise.html

Thanks!

Massimiliano Bruno Giordano sid egg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.craftster.org/adinfo/advertise.html#anchor2 <-- you might want to consider changing that one, many potential advertisers are not tech savvy, and the definitions of page views, visits, hits, etc, are common confusion points.
    GamesLib.com - the slickest, most complete and
    easily navigatible flash games site on the web.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You seem to give too much info for just a small ad spot. I think the most effective part (and probably the only thing that you need) is the table showing the rates. Any advertiser will know what CPM is, and probably only cares about that. Your tables sums up almost everything in the page.

Just trim down the page and you'll lose a lot of the tech savvy jargon too.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips so far. I'll clear up the part about the traffic stats.

And it *IS* a lot of info. I think maybe what I'll do is put the ad rates right at the top and then have more info available below.

One of the reasons why it's so darn wordy is that I was constantly getting the same questions from advertisers and so I decided to spell out as much as possible so I wouldn't have to spend so much time emailing the answers.

What do you all think of the rates? Or is it too hard to say considering that every sector of the market is so different?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you only charge 10 cents or less per cpm, that is crazy cheap. you should be charging 25 t0 50 cents depending on your traffic.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hpal
    you only charge 10 cents or less per cpm, that is crazy cheap. you should be charging 25 t0 50 cents depending on your traffic.
    Yeah. That's what I'm wondering. I figure that there are two good reasons for keeping the rates low:

(1) I'm trying to attract crafters and craft supply companies and I tend to get approached by very small business endeavors whom I want to remain affordable to.

(2) My website is a forum. And forums seems to generate a ton more page views than a normal site. With my ad software, every page view generates an ad view or impression. So you could say that the impressions are worth a little less in a "forum scenario."

But I guess I wonder if my ad rates are TOO LOW. Sounds like you think they are, hapl?