SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would you pay for a PR7 domain?

Just wondering if you had the chance to buy an unrelated site for sale that was a PR7, what would you pay?

This site is completely legit, and was not being solicited for sale. I found the site myself and offered the owner. He just got back to me and said he'd sell if the price was right. The site hasn't been updated for 2 years and the traffic is very low. But it does have 300 backlinks and a nice shinny PR7.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would pay registration fee. I don't give a ______ about pr. The most important is traffic.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that's a little bit harsh.

I mean I understand it's unwise to 'rely' on PR as the sole factor in anything, and I'd never bank on it so to speak, but let's just face it - PR is a real thing and it does have some value in determining SE rankings, whether insignificant or not, it does mean something.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need PR to get traffic that is worth anything. A low pr site is not going to get traffic for competetive keywords. For example, traffic for keywords like california real estate or california mortgage can be worth a lot and it takes a high PR to deserve this traffic.
    Last edited by SantaRosaDesign; May 23, 2005 at 10:08.
    nondenominational, noncommercial, nonprofit,
    listener-supported, 24-hour, Christian ministry:
    Listen Live Online

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaRosaDesign
    You need PR to get traffic that is worth anything. A low pr site is not going to get traffic for competetive keywords. For example, traffic for keywords like california real estate or california mortgage can be worth a lot and it take a high PR to deserve this traffic.
    Low PR sites can bring in a fair amount of traffic from low competition keywords. In fact they can sometimes rank high for medium to high competition words. There is a lot more involved then simply the PR when it comes to ranking and SE traffic. I have a PR2 site that pulls traffic from over 50 keywords.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The attitude from these totally anti-PR people is completely absurd. They seem to ignore PR as if it's just a big waste of time to factor into the equation of SE ranking. How much it helps is impossible to say in each case, and of course many people pay too much time worrying about it, but one thing is clear regarding PR - it can't hurt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd pay whatever I thought it was worth. What will you do with the domain? How will you profit from it? What price are you prepared to pay and potentially not get back?

I'm not a big fan of buying domains for their PR, they tend to lose it once the new owners change the site.
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Plus PR only affects Google. With Yahoo and MSN taking search more seriously PR becomes less valuable as they gain marketshare.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well yes the big problem with buying a site with PR, is it usually only has it because the current owner is linking to it with his other, high PR sites. And when you purchase, those inbound links obviously will soon dissappear. Buying based solely on PR is a risky thing to do any way you slice it.

What pains me the most is when I see some nothing site, not even commercial, but with a PR7 or PR8, and the owner is doing nothing at all with it but talking about his coin collection, or something silly. You try to buy links or the domain entirely, and he says something like "I wont place any commerical links on my site" or he'll say "I'm not interested in selling" or something equally frustrating. Oh well.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PR7 isn't descriptive enough. What is the root of its PR? Directory listings and a link on .edu page that hasn't been changed in five years, or from some bought links? Huge difference. How off topic (to you) and niche-y are the links? Lots of questions, but in general if the linking is not transitory, and the domain has any general interest value, then it could be worth a nice bit of money. There is no genral answer though, other than it would be good to get no matter what if the price is reasonable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give us the URL and we'll let you know what we think it's worth.

Just Kidding!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on how it got PR7. Maybe your website has thousands of permanent links on legit websites. Maybe your website had 1 link to it on the blog-roll of a PR8 blogsite and the link has rolled of right now. Meaning that it's link popularity is gone and the buyers is left with nothing but a 70% green bar.

It also depends on wether the links are from sites that are about a theme that I might want to make a website on.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a PR7 that pulls traffic from around 10,000 different keywords/month. This site used to have lower PR and it had less traffic then too. Anyway, I would say that a PR 7 could help you get your other sites a nice backlink or two and your new sites indexed faster. I ahve no idea wht that's worth to you but if I thought the links were stable and varied I would pay 500.00 - 1,000.00 for a PR 7 depending on subject, contnet, number of pages, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilen
    Low PR sites can bring in a fair amount of traffic from low competition keywords. In fact they can sometimes rank high for medium to high competition words. There is a lot more involved then simply the PR when it comes to ranking and SE traffic. I have a PR2 site that pulls traffic from over 50 keywords.
    Buy links - SEO tips - web directory
    My travel blog - home of...
    the 1,000 dollar vacation writing contest.
    Can you write a vacation plan?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't really pay that much, i'm sure it takes alot of time and money to keep that page rank and that's something I don't have. It would also depend on the URL/type of site and methods you used to achieve it.

I think a pr7 site is valued around $500-1,000, but if the domain is good then it could be anything upto low $xx,xxx.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this is a hobby site that the owner just kind of abandoned but kept online for whatever reason (and he is an average Joe) he probably knows nothing of PR, backlinks, etc. and the effect on SERP's. He isn't likely to care either. So, he would value the site as what you see, not the PR and potentional traffic. I would make an offer based on that to start. Then move your offer(s) up to what you are willing to pay, if needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, too late fot that now

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It also depends on the topic of the site. A PR 7 about arts and crafts would be worth far less than a PR 7 about gambling.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $500 to $1500 depending on sit, etc .... The question is very "blanket" ... Tough to put price on unknown!