SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What type of sites can make the most income?

I'm not sure about this... but what type of site can make more income than others?

Sites that waste less bandwith than it costs would be nice.

In the past, I've had many failures. A tutorial site, a scripting site, a gaming site, and now my Image Hosting Site is getting to be less and less active as well

I need to find a new idea... I do have a new project that should be opened near June, but do you think that one will prosper?
    - Edward Sun ..blog.. printdoublesided
    Potential client demands a portfolio, but you don't have one? ...
    Easily create your own portfolio!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A finance site can generate more income than a site that targets minors without credit cards. A legal web site that provides information on personal injury lawyers can generate more income than a site about Christina Aguilera. But does that mean that you should create a finance or a legal web site? in my opinion, it does not. You should rather find out what works for you by trying several things (e.g. a tutorial site, a scripting site, a gaming site, a image hosting site), keep the good things, get rid of the bad things and consult communities such as sitepoint.com for advice on specific problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... True. But is there any way to attract more visitors without losing lots of money? Maybe I should advertise... but where?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

The questions should not be in "what type of site". If you can go to the top of that kind of site, you can always make a lot of money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that can be a problem too. Attracting visitors is my problem actually. Where should I advertise, how much should I spend on advertising, and will I eventually get the money back from the amount wasted on advertising.

Those questions make my traffic low, and I need to find a solution.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that you should build a content site for the start, try to find a topic that you like and there is not enough information about it. Then earn some money from PPC and CPM programs. After you'll have a budget, try to make a site that it's topic have more competition and can sell products. With your budget advertise on google and overture.

I hope that I helped.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure if done properly, you can make money with all of those sites that you mentioned were failures.

So, it is not the type of site. It is obvious that you are not doing something right.

Once you have figured out what you are missing, you will have enough knowledge to make a success of those failures that you mentioned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how about http://theunitedaffiliates.com ? Do you think anything decent will come out of that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -tcwd-
    how about http://theunitedaffiliates.com ? Do you think anything decent will come out of that?
    nope. not even if it actually did work (its giving mysql errors)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, the errors are because I need actually 5 sites in the database to actually output 5 sites...
    anyways,

why won't it? Is the idea way too common?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was your plan of making money with imgnow.net if you don't mind me asking? I see no conventional google ads over the site etc... Are you sure you are heading the right direction before claiming it a total failure?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea u dont evena have ads ... they key is to create something what peopel need it doesent matter is it paid or free as long as peopel are using it.. exemple we come to this forum to ask how to get $$$ and how to incsere over $$$

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -tcwd-
    oh, the errors are because I need actually 5 sites in the database to actually output 5 sites...
    anyways,

why won't it? Is the idea way too common?
    yeah it is kind of common... but more importantly, every link that gets shown on every site is really coming from your website because of the iframe. even if that didn't matter, google seems to have devalued rotating links.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was your plan of making money with imgnow.net if you don't mind me asking? I see no conventional google ads over the site etc... Are you sure you are heading the right direction before claiming it a total failure?
    Google seemed to have cancelled my ads for false clicking. And I really, never click my own ads. I was probably a victim of people who constantly click my ads, because there was one day when I earned $30+ with Adsense.

I don't know what type of ads I can get, because imgnow's traffic is really low (about 20-30 Visits a day). I try to advertise, but I don't have a big budget ($50), and so I only post in the forums I visit. I'm running out of ideas.

blackdog, thanks for those tips. I might as well finish making it and maybe sell the script or something now.

I don't really want to give up ImgNow even though it is not suceeding. I really don't want to give up yet another project. Any ideas how to improve my ImgNow stats?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time is also a factor. It takes time for others to find the site, time before it gets picked up by directories etc. I like to give mine at least a year to make enough to pay their registration and hosting costs before I give up on them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make a mesothelioma site and you'll start racking in the gold.

SitePoint Addict picasso-trigger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duchz
    But does that mean that you should create a finance or a legal web site? in my opinion, it does not. You should rather find out what works for you by trying several things (e.g. a tutorial site, a scripting site, a gaming site, a image hosting site), keep the good things, get rid of the bad things and consult communities such as sitepoint.com for advice on specific problems.
    i couldn't disagree with this way of thinking more. open a gaming site because you play video games in your free time? he wants to make money!

if the 1st question is "what kind of site makes the most money", the 2nd question shold be "if finacial sites make more money, how am I going to offer value and service to those looking for this information ... enough that they use my web site".

the answer to that 2nd question is where you should then put your focus, for some people that would mean hiring those that do know.

think big!! your trying to make beans here ... don't close the doors in your mind first!
    Last edited by picasso-trigger; May 24, 2005 at 03:50.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only dot.coms I still see being able to afford 7m by 3m billboards all over the UK are the gaming/betting sites. They are making phenomenal amounts of money.

People are so reluctant to part with $10 to buy a book which earns us 50 cents in commission, but these same individuals will gladly part with $1000 on a betting site for which the affiliate commission rate could be up to $250 with lead fee + revenue share.

Still, I'd never enter the gambling field on moral grounds.
    Last edited by Azam.net; May 24, 2005 at 05:23.
    Azam Marketing, Inc.
    Award-Winning Digital Marketing and Design Results Since 1997
    Click here to read acclaimed online marketing & design blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Content sites usually do the best, along with article based sites. Sectors that are overfilled or over copied (depending on how you look at it) are joke sites, game sites, anime sites, and news clipping sites. With dervices like moreover and now Google going into RSS, news clipping sites will have a hard time staying afloat. The Internet changes on a dime. As long as you stay on top of things, you'll be fine. If you slip, well, you can miss the boat.
    The Online Guide