SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Does internal anchor links count as links, PR speaking?

Hey everybody,

Just wondered - Does internal, on-page anchor links count as links by the Google PR algo?

I mean, for example, let's say a given page has 4 normal links, and a copy of it has the same 4 links but also a TOC with 40 clickable links which lead to sections of the page itself. Will those extra 40 links count as 'links' and therefore decrease the power each one of the other four links will get?

Anyway, if they does count as links, what will happen then? The page will pass PR to itself? This seems a bit unrealistic to me.

Thanks,
    Ronny.
    Check out my new vcard at RonnyO.com
    BlinkIP.com - The fastest way to your IP

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes. These links do provide anchor text and can channel PR around your website. Using internal linking properly can have a very positive effect on your web pages' rankings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he's talking about links to the same page. like having <a href=index.php#top> in index.php.

sorry, can't answer your question... i really don't think so, but i don't know for sure.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ahh, opps. In that case they do nothing as far as PR is concerned. The anchor text may still be useful though. Certainly wouldn't hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, thanks!

actually it's interesting, what you're saying is that they check the address of the link, and if it's the same page they don't count it; but I'm curious about how clever they are about this. What if I link a page to the same page but without the www? And what if I link from a page to a mirror of it on a mirror server (nothing too dark, it's actually quite possible on one of our sites, as our Hebrew version is on another domain which is some kind of hald-mirrored)?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd be careful about doing this for SEO's sake only because it is potentially sketchy and with anything sketchy you run the risk of banning/penalization etc. For what little effect, if there is any at all, you might receive it almost certainly isn't worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, you're right. I don't intend to do this, just curious

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Will those extra 40 links count as 'links' and therefore decrease the power each one of the other four links will get?"

Yes. PR is distributed to the href, so those 40 links gut the PR passed to the actual pages. Very easy thing to test, except that you have to wait two more months now to see the results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so here's my scenario, since you touched upon something I've been curious about for awhile now. My main page, let's say it has a PR6. If I have 5 links to external sites, and 50 links to more internal pages in my site, will the links to the internal pages reduce the value of the PR of the main page? I don't want to be "leaking" PR to my other pages if I'm doing it at the cost of my main page's PR, but was never clear if that was the case or not. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman
    Ok, so here's my scenario, since you touched upon something I've been curious about for awhile now. My main page, let's say it has a PR6. If I have 5 links to external sites, and 50 links to more internal pages in my site, will the links to the internal pages reduce the value of the PR of the main page? I don't want to be "leaking" PR to my other pages if I'm doing it at the cost of my main page's PR, but was never clear if that was the case or not. Thanks.
    How do people get to your website? Always the main (aka home) page? Probably not for most people since they get there by way of search results in which case you may want to let the PR "leak" to your other pages. Then again, if you run a site where people enter through the main page, then ignore this. Just thought I would bring up a point to consider.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenBauer
    How do people get to your website? Always the main (aka home) page? Probably not for most people since they get there by way of search results in which case you may want to let the PR "leak" to your other pages. Then again, if you run a site where people enter through the main page, then ignore this. Just thought I would bring up a point to consider.
    I hear what you're saying.. The site has 150+ pages that people come in from, but I would venture to say that 95% of the visitors come to 3 pages, the main page being the one most heavily promoted.

What I was trying to figure out was if it would make more sense to have maybe 7 internal links on the main page (one link being my sitemap, which links to every page on our site), thereby keeping the main page's PR undiluted. And the other 2 main pages that people come through will still be linked from the main page, so if the PR trickles down to them that's fine with me.

My biggest concern is me losing PR because I pass it along to too many of my internal pages. Competition is fierce in my field, so I need as much PR as possible to survive in Google's eyes. Thanks.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two scenarios, in both caces you have a main page.

Scenario one, main page links to seven internal pages, which all only have one link, and that goes back to your main page

Scenario two, main page links to forty internal pages, which all only have one link, and that goes back to your main page

No difference for the PR of your main page between scenario one and two

Scenario three, main page links to 20 internal pages, each of those two pages link to some other internal pages in addition to the main page... here your main page will have (slightly) lower pagerank while some of your internal pages will have higher pagerank.

Bottom line, don't worry about it too much, but if you are concerned, what you should focus on is having th internal pages link to less internal pages, so that they throw more PR back to the main page.

In other words, 40 or 7 links to internal pages makes no difference, but having 10 links on the internal pages is better for your main page than 50 would be.